Exciting day!

Rec

Well, this made lockdown interesting. Dave was digging in the garden and I was indoors, heard shouting and a neighbour had spotted him collapsed on the ground. Two ambulances in attendance, ( had trouble getting in to us) and he was charged of to the non covid A&E. Had to stay at home and wait as only patients allowed! Eventually have collected him again just now, doctors decided he had a seizure ( unknown cause) so can't drive until seen by neurologist. One unhappy person.......and of course as bank holiday weekend, can't start referral until Tuesday. The neighbour who helped him initially followed her instinct, and now has to go for covid test two hour drive away tomorrow as she is shielding her daughter and, although sure Dave is covid free, cannot risk it having had close contact with someone! Sleeping in tent in garden till she gets the all clear. The sad thing is, they didn't test Dave, as asymptomatic, but took him into the hospital. If he did happen to develop symptoms once home, others could be at risk but track and trace difficult.
We stayed alert, "safe" at home, and still ended up using the NHS!

Last edited:
Hope Dave is feeling better. Could he have got a bit of heatstroke? Don't know what the weather was like your way but it was warm here, even though it was windy.

Hope Dave is feeling better. Could he have got a bit of heatstroke? Don't know what the weather was like your way but it was warm here, even though it was windy.
:(No unfortunately not. Looks like it was a seizure as he bit through his tongue, had very low oxygen levels, and was not responsive for over an hour. Back home now but banned from driving until seen by a neurologist. He was actually working in the shade under trees and managed to miss knocking himself out on trees, rocks or impaling himself on the rake and garden fork lying next to him! So I guess I am doing the driving for the forseeable future. Last year he managed to pass out onto a concrete floor and cause muliple bleeds on the brain (portugal!) and also has a benign brain tumour, so they were concerned he had a brain bleed again, but CT showed not connected to these....we shall see!

just saw this ,poor sod - hope he's better !
Ditto. Sounds like you got back to the UK at the right time. Wishing you all the very best 👍

Reactions: Rec
He is doing ok, tired and fed up but could have been so much worse. This is a photo I took after ambulance had gone and I went back to clear up the debris left.....the rhubarb wasn't doing well but I think Dave laying on it for over an hour may not have helped it recover!
It looks like he was " beamed up"! IMG_20200522_143623.jpg

What a shock, Ruth..
The only good news is that you were safely back home in Blighty and not in transit.
Hope Dave and the Rhubarb are soon back to fitness.

What a shock, Ruth..
The only good news is that you were safely back home in Blighty and not in transit.
Hope Dave and the Rhubarb are soon back to fitness.
Better than our A&E in Portugal last year too! Ward was fine but casualty was overstretched and unsafe.....and my Portuguese is not medically based!

i went to A&E in Portugal with a bad fever and was brusquely told to take aspirin and eat bananas
went next day to Alvor private hospital and was immediately diagnosed with Lymes disease and given antibiotics

i went to A&E in Portugal with a bad fever and was brusquely told to take aspirin and eat bananas
went next day to Alvor private hospital and was immediately diagnosed with Lymes disease and given antibiotics
They were ok with diagnostics, very thorough, but not big on patient privacy and dignity and basic care....Very short staffed and no evidence of funding! Chairs cracked and broken , curtained areas used by multiple patients as an example. This was a teaching hospital. But harder still with language barrier...

Very nasty for you both !
Take care x2
Best wishes again to both of you !
Hopefully many non-exciting days ahead.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back