FFS - That’s it I’m done!

linkshouse

Sorry, long story...

Many of you will be aware of the fun and games I’ve had with our van.

I recently posted to say it was fixed and, better still, that it sailed through its MOT.

Well, I felt it was running a bit on the warm side and had needed to top up the coolant a couple of times. I was investigating this yesterday when suddenly the water started spraying out of the header tank at extremely high pressure!

There is only one thing that can generate this sort of water pressure - a blown head gasket!

Before anybody asks, yes I did use a torque wrench and torqued the head bolts to the correct torque, the gasket was new and the faces were meticulously clean.

To say I was upset would be a massive understatement. As you’ll know from my questions about meets/rallies I was already plotting and scheming next years travels.

After a somewhat sleepless night I’ve reached something of a watershed. That’s it, I’m done! I love this van and have spent a lot of time and money getting the habitation how we want but I can’t just carry on throwing money at it.

it has new -

Battery bank
Solar system
Diesel heater
Fridge
Telly
Radio
Inverter

So my plan now is to source a suitable newer van and do my own conversion using the old van as a donor.

it feels like a shame to be plundering an old classic but I’m sure now that this is my most cost effective solution.

Did you get the head skimmed when you did the head gasket?

Regards,
Del

How many miles have you done since rebuild could it be a faulty thermostat or air lock, thermostat not opening could force water wrong way and throw it up thru the rad and out under high pressure, ditto air lock

Better luck with your conversion👍I hope it goes well for you.
K ;)

How many miles have you done since rebuild could it be a faulty thermostat or air lock, thermostat not opening could force water wrong way and throw it up thru the rad and out under high pressure, ditto air lock
Probably no more than about 50.

It’s coming up Christmas now so I’ll have an enforced break anyway. I suppose since it’s just sitting there I may weaken and have a look at it in the new year, but I’m definitely not spending any more money on it 😡

The thing is now, as clunegapyears said, the trust is a bit gone now. I think I’d have to try quite hard to get Marlene to venture into the Scottish wilderness in it even if I fixed it.

No, I must admit I didn’t but surely it would be a bit unusual for the block to be distorted wouldn’t it?

Not as unusual as you'd think.... Even cast iron blocks can suffer localised warping/damage from a blown head gasket....

I've always checked the block with a good straight edge and feeler gauges as well as the head.

Had to resort to removing the block and having it decked a few times.

I blew a head gasket in a 2.4 Shogun I had,threw in a can of steel seal and drove for a couple more years with no problems. If you are sure it's the head gasket then that's a quick cheap solution to keep you on the road.

As you say "Trust is gone". So any any extended trips you simply will not be able to relax.
It will cost whatever you do but you should end up with a "better solution"

Have you looked into sourcing a good used second hand engine...
Not usually too painless to swap.... And possibly more cost effective than undoing all the conversion work you've done so far.

Have you looked into sourcing a good used second hand engine...
Not usually too painless to swap.... And possibly more cost effective than undoing all the conversion work you've done so far.
I did have a search around on t'internet when the engine first failed but couldn't find anything. It's a very old engine and there aren't many about.

Being so remote doesn't help either.

I blew a head gasket in a 2.4 Shogun I had,threw in a can of steel seal and drove for a couple more years with no problems. If you are sure it's the head gasket then that's a quick cheap solution to keep you on the road.
I've used this successfully worth a try you could trade it in as a runner then. https://tinyurl.com/s2lgs6h

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back