Fiat 2.3JTD engine

alwaysared

We have spotted a van that ticks most of the boxes for us, 2004 reg, 6.25m long 3500kg GVW with fixed bed etc. The box that it doesn't click is the engine, I had set my mind on either a Mercedes 2.2L or Fiat 2.8JTD and it has the 2.3JTD engine (110bhp I think) so does anyone have any advice or experience, good or bad with this engine? Is it anygood? Or should I hold out for one of two engines I had my mind set on?
As usual any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Del
Ps. Also posted om Wild Camping

Had the 2.3JTD and 2.8JTD Fiat`s and now a 2.8HDi Peugeot ( same engine ).

The 16v 2.3JTD was very smooth and ok with the 3,400kg motorhome it was in until it got up near the GVW for extended trips.

The 8v 2.8JTD and 8v 2.8HDi isn`t as smooth but far superior handling the weight and more so i`m now up to 4,100kg.

COPIED OVER FROM W.C.

From what I've read about these engines they appear to be only 17 hp and about 30nM down on the 2.8jtd. In any event you'll find it a big improvement on the 1.9td you have now. Possibly look at remapping. Here's what comes up for our 2.8jtd at Quantum Tuning, so if you have the details for the van you're looking at see what a remap could give you.

https://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/vehicle-details.aspx

Good luck with the van hunt.

Cheers

H

My 2.3 was nominally 130bhp and very driveable, I have had it remapped to 160 and it is very car like to drive, achieves 29mpg dragging over 3.5tonnes, I’m plated at 4100kg.

The difference between this and my old 2.8jtd/160bho remap are chalk and cheese, the old engine is very agricultural in comparison.

Del,
Our first van had the 2.8 engine fitted, our current van has the 2.3 130bhp which is a lot more economic and smoother, other than that I have not noticed any difference in performance.

Good luck with the van search.

Good luck in the search for a new van . our new van has the 2.2 engine rated at 110 bhp and it's got plenty of power and drives like a car plus there is always the option of remapping. If the layout matches your needs I'd go for it del

Don’t know if my van fits into this category but as you’ve seen it’s a lump and only a 2.3 but a 180 at first I wasn’t sure if it could handle the weight but it pulls great and decent on fuel for the size would be better if I took the divers boot off.

There’s something to be grateful for when you have enough power to be able to let off the throttle, than wish you had more.

It's not the 130bhp engine it's 110bhp. I've decided to keep looking as I really want a Dethleffs and as it's now the season to sell everything seems to be a lot more expensive than it was in January :( Like I've said before I'm lucky enough to have a working MH so I can afford to wait and be picky :)

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back