Fiat extended warranty

MarkJ

Free Member

Fiat extended warranty

Just wondering about Fiat’s extended warranty. For just under £1k you can extend the original 2 year warranty for another 3 years. This includes Europe wide breakdown cover. My van is over 3,500 kg so options are a bit limited - ADAC would be about £75 per year, I think.

i can’t decide whether this is good value or not, but overall I think it seems expensive. It does include cover for some expensive items (eg Dpf) but of course you have to have it Fiat serviced.

Any views, anyone?

We paid up. We extended to 5 years, but I think the limit was 60 miles. We’ve had our MH 15 months and already at 20,000 so it won’t last us 5 years at this rate. Our rationale was that our previous van was off the road for 16 days whilst Fiat (fix it again tomorrow) try to work out what the problem was. The bill was well over £1000. I think you have to take out the Fiat warranty within 12 days of purchase.

3 x £75 for breakdown means you still need to spend £744 on repairs to be even. I’ve never taken extended cover on anything for this reason. As a betting man your van is likely to be reliable and not cost that much in repairs. Clearly though there are exceptions.

plus it’s really more than £744 if you have to use Fiat for the cover, which they can do on extended warranties but cannot do on the base warranty.

PLEASE CHECK you MUST get it VERY quickly after buying a new van, perhaps only 14 days

Glass man;n23577 said:
PLEASE CHECK you MUST get it VERY quickly after buying a new van, perhaps only 14 days

I see. It looked to me like a special offer I saw, but maybe I didn’t read it properly. Oh well, saves worrying about it!

With Autotrail you can extend the warranty to cover the vehicle and habitation repairs for a further two years, at just under £400. My dealer will liaise with the warranty company to get approval to proceed, and so far I have not heard bad reports. AT now offer 5 years on new vans, whereas it was 3 years, 2 yrs by AT and 1 yr by the warranty co.

My feeling on these insurances is it depends a bit on ones financial situation and an assessment of risk but it is always on my mind that for an insurance to be offered the insurer must aim to make a profit or it is not worth its while.

Of course an Insurance Co. will make a profit, no point in being in business otherwise.
However, a known cost (the insurance) is worth the gamble of not having to find an unknown cost, which could be a lot higher than the premium paid, if a major breakdown/failure does occur.

Can’t comment on vans, but I found that with a Fiat car they will deny anything is covered when attempting a warranty claim.

We took out an RAC Platinum policy recommended by the dealer we bought our van from. Had to claim for a faulty charger unit after a couple of months, special order form Germany. Total bill was nearly £1k. The three year policy was a one off payment of £450. Cha Ching, quids in already ????

Just checked, the policy is headlined as RAC, but is provided by a company named The Motor Warranty Group. Maintenance and Breakdown Care. Also checked the RAC site, they no longer offer this policy. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back