Fiat rust

• Thread starter Deleted member 3196
  • Start date
Hi all,
Thought I would tackle a rusty looking seam behind the front wheels of my 2.8 jtd only to discover an horrific amount of tin worm all over both inner arches.
Van is 16 years old with only 45k, anyone else have this issue? View attachment 54526
Yes exactly the same.We had an 04 Ducato. Inner arches and cills all crumbled. Underneath also looked terrible. Patched up and sold on last year. Shame. It was a great van with under 60k on the clock.

My 2004 Ducato had the same problem but probably not as advanced as yours. I gave up looking for replacement panels or inner sills and just cut out all of the rusty bits I could find back to good metal and made patches from 1mm steel sheet formed into shape as best I could. I did this one patch at a time and numbered them. I took the van to a local friendly bodyshop who welded each patch in place and I did the tidying up later.
Need to be VERY careful with heat transfer during welding. He did one inch stitches at a time until it was all done but we still stood by with extinguishers after stripping back internal stuff as best we could. Good job done.
Good luck
K ;)
I repaired my rust in a similar way.
Small shaped patches and careful welding. Took me ages but more solid.

We had an issue even worse than yours when our Peugeot was 18 years old and ended up having both inner wings rebuilt and the lower arm was rotted through. Luckily I had it all rebuilt at a very reasonable price

We had an issue even worse than yours when our Peugeot was 18 years old and ended up having both inner wings rebuilt and the lower arm was rotted through. Luckily I had it all rebuilt at a very reasonable price
Can I be cheeky and ask what the price was, I have a similar issue on one side.

Depending on how your son came by his Sprinter then someone needs to kick up a very large amount of stink!

I know Mercedes Benz have an attitude that they are above the law and can't be challenged, but if whoever owns this Sprinter isn't pleased with it then they need to take action and not be fobbed off with anything other than the entire problem being sorted out at the expense of Merc., indeed if it wasn't for the fact that so many non Mercedes extras have been fitted to the van, then I would have been insisting on a replacement.

Over the years I have had some eye watering battles with various vehicle manufacturers and in each and every case I won my case.
'of mechantable quality' or suchlike... if no joy comes from MBenz then websites are cheap as chips, knock one up for pennies, load it with pictorial evidence, invite fellow complainers and send a link to MB... as long as it's 'decent honest and truthful' then you should be ok...that should do the trick :cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back