Fill the legs ?

rugbyken

We have a 4x3 gazebo in the back garden a much loved & well used space but unfortunately it's in a bit of a wind tunnel after 6 canvas roofs in 4 years I have been persuaded ( given in ) we need a hard top replacement so we have purchased online an outsunny one same dimensions etc it looks a good bit of kit and delivery only took 2 days, the metal legs have plates attached at the bottom to drill through & fix my patio only has small slabs & not sure they would be secure there so I thought why not fill the hollow legs & let the weight provide stability but what to use some form of silica dry sand or gravel perhaps water would be easiest but could rot the aluminium legs & the salt in washed sand the same this is the one though unfortunately my background doesn't matchIMG_0042.jpg

Reactions: GMJ
What diameter/section are the legs? Unless really large you won't add enough weight.

Another vote for putting a planter each corner and fixing legs to a plate that sits under.

Ok
Plan B
Large flower pot or the like.
Leg in 4 or ins depth of concrete then topped up with "pretty gravel or pebbles" or soil and flowers
Or simply all pebbles
Concrete being a mixture of sand and gravel cement and water maybe the heavyist solutioin

Or find some old fashioned weights

How about lifting the slabs under each corner and either digging a hole underneath and filling with concrete , or hammering in a 4” metpost and inserting a wooden post cut to the base of the slabs you lifted. Put the slabs back and drill through into the concrete affixing anchor bolts or use 150mm fixing screws into the wood( or with plugs into the concrete )?

I did similar to support our veranda while we decided what sort of base we were going to use.

973606AA-489E-433B-976A-49A6A548E00D.jpeg

Last edited:
Cut 4 of 25ltr plastic cans and put each leg in one,fill with a week mix of sand cement at 7/1 ,it can easy be hammered of if required.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back