First time in France for many years. What to look out for?

GarethHowell

Hi All
We're taking our camper to France at the beginning of May for the first time in about 20 years. I've sorted Red Pennant, and still need to sort out the 'van insurance, but I'm trying to build a list of things to check before we go. e.g.
- water adapters (we have a pretty standard hose with female connector, plus a male adapter
- gas connectors (we have an underslung tankwith a bag of adapters)
- electric connectors (I have a Shuko to UK adapter lead and a polarity switcher)
- requirements to drive in France (replacement bulbs, breathalysers etc.)
- Additional signage (we are a van conversion, max 3500kg and 6m long)

Do we need visas now? COVID passport?

Covid vaccination certificate (phone and paper); Declaration sur L'honneur; Hivis Jacket accessible from inside cab; UK Nationality Plate; Travel Insurance; European Breakdown Cover; Driving Licence Plastic version; V5 for Camper; Warning Triangle; Spare Bulbs (& fuses!); Camper Keys + Spare; Crit Aire Vignette; Headlamp Converters; Passport; Spare Specs of worn; EHIC/GHIC; Currency; Credit Card with enough Credit Limit to cope with earmarking of up to €130 for each refuel (Leclerc reserved both the €130 limit for refuelling AND the actual diesel bought!).

Green Card no longer required BUT my LV vehicle insurance says in the small print that I need one for Fully Comp cover in Europe (LV employee didn't know that that wording remained, but sent the Card without fuss)

Steve

Might be worth doing some research. From memory the AA has a decent section on motoring in Europe.

If you are under 3500kg you wont need the Angles Mortes stickers.

Air insurers and you get discount being a member
watch for glp sites lpg if you use it (and dish adaptor in france for lpg pumps)
most places have euro type hook ups the odd ones with the old two pin type
watch out for your speeds as most towns have set their own limit to bring in dosh I'm told
campingcar- park
park4night
Search for sites is apps we use but vicarious books do the aires for france Spain etc
every thing else is very much like the old france dinner time shut downs(siesta)
make sure you have a good bit of coins for machines 1&2 euros I've found
it will be busier in may than just now so don't leave it too late to get a park up
if in an aire be considerate and no tables and chairs etc out camping not wot it's meant for imho
also take care cause the vino is cheap👍🍇🍷
Ps we bought the card for camping car-park which has been great

Look out for speed cameras and the low speed limits in towns/villages.

Your not allowed to cross single white lines on the road unless you need to to pass a stationary object or obstruction in the road. That means you can’t pass slow moving vehicles ( tractors, bikes, voitures sans permis etc) you have to stay behind either till it’s legal to overtake or you are absolutely sure there are no Gendarmes about.
Depending on where you are in France, boulangeries and many other shops may be shut on Mondays, in some areas that’s on Wednesday.
Not all shops are shut now from 12-2pm as they used to be and some are even open on Sundays.
Motorway and toll road fuel is expensive.
Schools are closed Wednesday afternoons so expect lots of buses at midday ferrying kids home.
Try and speak French to locals, in shops etc, even if it’s just a bonjour.
Use aires not campsites.
Wear sun cream in the sun.

Marker board if you have a bike rack on rear wall.

European accident statement (English & French)

Translation app on your mobile (very good for menus & notices).

If off peak research ACSI

Your not allowed to cross single white lines on the road unless you need to to pass a stationary object or obstruction in the road. That means you can’t pass slow moving vehicles ( tractors, bikes, voitures sans permis etc) you have to stay behind either till it’s legal to overtake or you are absolutely sure there are no Gendarmes about.
<snip>
And bear in mind that you're not allowed to cross a solid white line to turn at a junction, either.

If you are rural and looking for fresh bread and the only option is a Bar/Tabac...ask them. They invariably sell bread too!

Many rural areas not served by a boulangerie, ( or when the boulangerie is closed) will either have a shop or other outlet ( as above could be a bar tabac ) and that outlet will generally have a “Depot de Pain” sign outside.
Some places have a bread dispensing machine ( €1 or €1.10 for a “ Tradition”) and some will have a boulangerie van calling at specific places, but, unfortunately, some villages will have nothing close by and you will have to travel

ny rural areas not served by a boulangerie, ( or when the boulangerie is closed) will either have a shop or other outlet ( as above could be a bar tabac ) and that outlet will generally have a “Depot de Pain” sign outside.
Some places have a bread dispensing machine ( €1 or €1.10 for a “ Tradition”) and some will have a boulangerie van calling at specific places, but, unfortunately, some villages will have nothing close by and you will have to travel
Or, buy a pain or baguette at the last supermarket you pass (diesel refill, as well ...) plus a pain industriel to keep you going, especially if the following day is a Monday

Steve

Why the plastic version Steve? I've never had a plastic one so you have got me slightly concerned.
Hi Jo,
The pain industriel is a useful, if somewhat tasteless loaf, to get through weekends, especially if there's a Bank Holiday looming ... We make it more palatable by buying pains au raisins/pains au chocolats to take away the taste and a couple of bars of chocolate (well 2 x 6 pack of chocolate bars ... 🤭🙄)

Steve

Why the plastic version Steve? I've never had a plastic one so you have got me slightly concerned.
Sorry Jo, misread your Post, was thinking about the bread sub theme ... I read that you need an International Driving Permit if you haven't traded in your old paper licence for the plastic version with the photo ID

Steve

Government website says you MAY need an IDP...whatever that means:

Clear as mud. Unfortunately Mr has sprained his ankle so I have been driving a lot more than normally would. I'll keep my link above bookmarked and hope for the best.

Clear as mud. Unfortunately Mr has sprained his ankle so I have been driving a lot more than normally would. I'll keep my link above bookmarked and hope for the best.
If stopped, Jo, I was going to suggest giving me as a character referee, but you'd have enough problems without that added burden ... :rolleyes:

Where are you heading for? Trust you'll have a sign on the back of your M/home along the lines of 'Naw, we're the Burstner Fifers, the sensible couple ...' I DO like the placing of your UK sticker, though. Apt personified 🤭

Steve

I've been looking at the question of an IDP for France myself. For the sake of paying £5.50 it's not worth the potential hassle of not having one.

Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back