First time in France for many years. What to look out for?

We are heading for Benicassim for Easter. That's plan A.

Sorry, we are straying off topic so apologies to the OP and mods.

I've been looking at the question of an IDP for France myself. For the sake of paying £5.50 it's not worth the potential hassle of not having one.
Less hassle to use the cash to get a photo ID EU format Driving Licence?

Steve

Less hassle to use the cash to get a photo ID EU format Driving Licence?

Steve
I don't really want an EU anything, although when I need to renew at 70 I'll have to give in with the photo nonsense

Clear as mud. Unfortunately Mr has sprained his ankle so I have been driving a lot more than normally would. I'll keep my link above bookmarked and hope for the best.

You have plenty of time. Why don't you email the French Embassy mentioned in the UK government link I posted, and ask them. You'll get the definitive answer then. If needed IDP's are easy to sort out and can get issued from your local decent sized PO if needed.

You might find this site helpful, particularly the Driving section.

Bear in mind that the national speed limit on single carriageway roads was reduced from 90km/h to 80km/h a few years ago. Since then, départements have been given the option to revert to 90km/h on some or all roads and some have taken up this option. The speed limit situation is therefore confusing and I have found that one cannot rely on the limits indicated by a satnav, which often do not match posted limits (in the event that they are posted).

Also bear in mind that if you go out for a walk, especially if you have a dog, that people you meet coming the other way are very likely to say ‘bonjour’ and smile - unlike over here when no-one even attempts to make eye contact let alone say anything.

Also bear in mind that if you go out for a walk, especially if you have a dog, that people you meet coming the other way are very likely to say ‘bonjour’ and smile - unlike over here when no-one even attempts to make eye contact let alone say anything.
I get funny looks from people when we go back to the U.K. and say hello to people. There doesn’t appear to be many places where this is an acceptable practice…

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back