Fitting solar panel.

TissyD

We have just got our new to us van and want to fit a solar panel When I put one on the old van I mounted it on the roof but I was wondering if I could mount this one on the roof bars. Has anyone done this please.?

I have a friend who has just finished a new build on a Transit. He has 2 x100w panels mounted in a roof rack. He’s just completed a 2000 mile tour of Europe and the panels are fine.
( they are bolted to a metal frame which is bolted to the roof rack.)

My previous van was an Autosleeper Rienza. It had a fibreglass upstand or gunwhale which ran front to back on each side of the roof, (hope that makes sense). Bolted onto these at manufacture were 3 (I think) transverse aluminium box bars.

I had a solar panel fitted to these by bolts and metal right angle plates. This left about a 4 inch gap under the panel, high enough to allow a brush under when washing the roof.

It worked without problem, no evidence of flexing or reverberation for the 4 years before we traded the van.

Davy

We have just got our new to us van and want to fit a solar panel When I put one on the old van I mounted it on the roof but I was wondering if I could mount this one on the roof bars. Has anyone done this please.?

I've recently fitted a 400w bi facial panel to the roof rack/bars of our swift 590 rs...

Used hydrazorb aluminium channel/brackets and exhaust clamps.

What van?
We will be making a roof rack out of 4040 alumiunium profile (3030 would be okay too in hindsight). This will connect onto OEM mountings via Thule 3031 (IIRC) roof mounts. 2x 150w panels and awning thingie will be mounted to it with potential for other bits to mount if needed.
Not the cheapest, but vv flexible

You still use a 'antenna' to watch TV?

How quaint ;-)

4g streaming works just fine.....

You still watch TV!

How quaint ;-)

Remember the old TV Series..... Y don't U...? :)

You still watch TV!

How quaint ;-)

Remember the old TV Series..... Y don't U...? :)

Sadly I'm old enough to remember it.....

Actually watch very little when away in the lighter months BUT enjoy a good film/box set when away through the darker months.

Sadly I'm old enough to remember it.....

Actually watch very little when away in the lighter months BUT enjoy a good film/box set when away through the darker months.

Ok, you got me. Box sets and movies we do watch, and will (probably) install a projector for the movies. But the habbit of TV browsing is hard to break - lots of backpacking helped, and then realised we didn't miss it. So hence dumped aerial etc and now do other stuff rather than watch TV just because its there. We do watch "choice" things on demand.... GBBO is one for the wife - but watch on our schedule.

Just need to break the internet addiction now :D :D

Saves lot of fuel if there is a 5" gap as it acts like a wing lifting your wheels are off the road 1/2 the time. Should get about 60mpg :)

Fitting solar to roof bars is a common practice as is fitting roof boxes .a front wind deflector could be made if you think it nessasery. It would be my preferred method if I had them .

What is the new van? and what do the bars look like?

Just an observation but because you have fitted it to the nearside, isn’t it prone to being damaged by trees, hedges etc?

I try not to drive battering the van with overhanging branches etc....
Besides the overcab section acts as an early warning...
Existing fitments on drivers side (toilet hatch/gas fire flue/rear ladder meant drivers side was a no go)

What is the new van? and what do the bars look like?
It is a Chieftan Starburst, similar to the big one we came to the New Forest in but smaller. On a Ducato short wheelbase. 1998 model.

It is a Chieftan Starburst, similar to the big one we came to the New Forest in but smaller. On a Ducato short wheelbase. 1998 model.
Thanks.
I was wondering if a method I used on my T5 would work for you?
Fitted a pair of panels to cross bars using Rivnuts

image_1
by David, on Flickr

And the crossbars then simply clamped to the Roof Rails

image_6
by David, on Flickr

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back