Fogstar drift or pro.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

We had the fogstar drift on our old van.
But looking now for new one for Ruby our new van.
There are pro lithium batteries now , which are little more expensive, so which is best..
Will be running 2000w inverter ..

I am also in the throes of considering a lithium battery upgrade.
I have been asking about and batteries with a higher amps seen to be winning .
I still have a lot I would like to look into yet . So watching this thread with interest ..

There are pro lithium batteries now , which are little more expensive, so which is best..
I have 4 x 100amp Relion lithium and run a renogy 2000watt inverter no probs.But if I was starting again I would be putting 2 x 300amp lithium in place only because I don't like the idea of only one battery but that's just me if the battery has a fault your goosed till its sorted where as I can just take the faulty battery out .

Last edited:
Maybe connects to the cerbo unit(?) if that's the right name
that is spot on. you can connect it via either the VE.Bus or VE.CAN (think VE.Bus) to a Victron Venus OS unit like a Cerbo GX and see the battery info directly an not have to get a Smartshunt or BMV monitor.
For anyone with a Cerbo, the Pro would be the one to get out of the two. I don't know what other differences there are.

There are actually advantages in running BOTH Lead and Lithium together. Each has its own advantages and if you combine them, you get the benefits of both.
Obviously if you are limited by space and/or weight, decisions have to be made what to do, but not everyone is. most of the recent sales of my device that allow Lead and Lithium to run combined have gone to either people off-grid (where lead can be far better in very old temps) or with boats (where weight can be a bonus!).
In my Motorhome I have Lead Carbon - estimated Charge Cycles in the thousands - and also Lithium. The Lead rarely gets used so will stay in a good shape for a long time, but it is still there (automatically) when I need it. The Lithium gets all the use and will cycle between 100% and 10%. At that use range, it should last the 10 years of the warranty period and will pay for itself easily.
You can extend the life of Lithium easily by restricting the level you charge to and discharge to (loads of Youtubers promote that idea). But .... in order to have access to the same capacity, you will have to get additional batteries of course. Do that and 1) wiped out your supposed savings by restricting the useage and 2) if restricted on space, where are these extra batteries gonna go exactly?

simple rule with Lithium .... Buy It. Use It.
By the time it has been all used up, you will either not own the van any more or will have replaced with new bigger and cheaper batteries anyway.

The differences are:

1) A more powerful BMS that can run 300 amps continuously so that you can use a 3000-watt inverter on a single battery.
2) Active balancer: Most lithium batteries use passive balancers, which waste energy and produce heat. Active balancers are better.
3) Pyshical on/off button.
4) Metal case.
5) Canbus port that can communicate with canbus controllers like the Victron Cerbo to report state of charge and cell data.

I hope this helps.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:5)

Back