Food miles

tonybvi

Like most folk we’ve had a fantastic day today so naturally tonight’s meal was a BBQ. After we had eaten it and with the aid of a few glasses of wine we got to trying to work out the food miles and we came up with this:
Starter - asparagus from Lunan Bay - 20 miles
Main Course - venison fillet steak shot and supplied by Ballogie Estate - 8 miles, potatoes from local farm - 5 miles, a very few sugar snap peas from my polytunnel 200 yards away.
Pudding - strawberries from Castleton fruit farm - 20 miles

The only thing that let us down but we couldn’t manage without was the wine from France!!

All produce, including wine, bought from our local farm shop 5 miles away or the estate outlet 8 miles away.

I reckon that’s pretty environmentally friendly for a great meal!!

We did similar
Chicken portions, bought from the farm ( where they are reared) 4 Km away. Potatoes, lettuce, onions, butter and tomatoes from the same farm. Radishes from the garden, water from the tap and home made cakes ( eggs from the same farm too) with cream from the same farm.
And a bottle of red wine, from France, but it’s ok because we live there ( here!)

Can i move in with you lot,today about 6 cups of coffee,choc bicys ,toast and a small slice of pessa from asda,nout for supper except tablets,all from god knows where.

i was thinking about that the other day and here is a strange one. Kitchen paper towels.
forest, transport to port, port to mill, chemicals for mill, production energy, transport to distributon centre, transport to shop....
rip a sheet, mop a small spill, ditch.

scary

i was thinking about that the other day and here is a strange one. Kitchen paper towels.
forest, transport to port, port to mill, chemicals for mill, production energy, transport to distributon centre, transport to shop....
rip a sheet, mop a small spill, ditch.

scary

.......or use a traditional dishcloth and chuck it in with the washing.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Oh dear! We had soup made from local veg, bread from local baker (don't know about their flour?) But the wine and olive oil came from Portugal....no airmiles, but it was driven all the way! So not exactly carbon neutral....we were coming anyway? Does that count ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back