Ford Transit TDCi 2.0 Litre

alwaysared

Does anyone have any experience of the Transit Duratorq TDCi 2.0 litre engine? The seller is claiming 125bhp and I wondered how this would compare to the Merc 2.2 (127bhp) and the Fiat 2.8JTD (128bhp).
This is purely a question about the engine side of things, I already know how easy Transits are to steal
frown.png

Regards,
Del

The 125 is a decent engine prone to the odd injector going but fine plenty power I’d be more interested in the condition of the clutch think some were made of paper mache the ford has plenty low end torque. Comparison wise there’s not much in it I would say the merk would edge it on finesse especially if it was automatic.

Thanks Wully, the clutch and starter motor were both replaced in 2018 so hopefully they will be good for a few more miles :)
I'm just about to set off to Cumbria to look at it so we'll see what happens, it's not a Dethleffs but it's an Hymer and ticks some of the boxes for us and we realise that we'll be lucky to get one (let alone a Dethleffs) that ticks them all :D

Regards,
Del

Gordon bought a nice hymer based on a transit he’s probably the best man to comment. Don’t think there’s much of a difference in Dethleffs and hymers some models are built in same factory. The rear wheel drive twin axil transits can be a bit ridged on the back suspension and the diff can be noisy depending on the mileage and how many times the backend has been kirbed making it slightly off line and noisy.

It's an Hymer Van 522, so it's a single axle rear wheel drive model.

Regards,
Del

Hi,we bought ours and are delighted with it around ,it a 572 2*2dura
My first things were to turn it into Fort Knox to try to stop mr Ned from pinching it
If you go for it I can give you pics ,prices and suppliers of the stuff I fitted to mine.ours has the single beds opposed to the transverse but the wife loves driving it ,find it responds to the throttle very nicely and if you drive sensibly we are getting a great mpg
If I can help any more give me a shout
I also have removed the wardrobe behind the drivers seat and is a W,I,p job just now

C’mon then Del. Did it suit the two of you?

Cheers

H
Well it did go well and of course it was a lot quieter than our 1.9TD which has Cheerful Charlie pointed sounds like a tractor :LOL: but we're still deciding on the layout, we plan to spend a lot of time in the van after August so the garage was great and the fixed bed was great but I'm not sure if it was a bit too high for Diane with her knee and back problems, I think she liked the van though. I started this thread about the damp meter readings I got, so not sure and of course I've been looking for a Dethleffs for so long I believe one will come along as soon as I buy something else :( It did have a full service history, it was MOTed and serviced last week, it had a new clutch, flywheel and starter motor last November so overall it's been well looked after with good documentation, decisions, decisions!

Regards,
Del

We’ve had a 522 for just over 5 years. Travelled for nearly 3 years in her. Generally a great van. Lots of little things but aren’t there always.
Ours is the 2.2 Transit. Horrible until I got a London Lad to do some remapping. Please ask if there’s anything specific

78k in a 125ps 2.0 TDCi - very fast, loved mountain passes, very reliable (EGR blanked after failing), and it was fine.
Only concern is *if* it goes wrong, its tough to fix - as not many plumbers care about old vans, they ge a new one. Most old vans vans have the cheaper/simpler 100ps version which does not have the same fuel pump, injectors or variable turbo.
Oh - the water pump failed too - but DIYable (guide on blog).
The only major issue I had was caused by a human and no fault of the engine - and the fact it did OK with the human c*ck up - was really good! But Ford and others unable to diagnose issue or simple fix (internet transit forum came to rescue). All blogged for future people and as we had 101 troubleshooting steps (and TDCi is used in Modeo etc) loads of people use the guide.

Overall, very nice engine, relaxed and fun to drive even loaded and over mountains.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back