Fridge needs a new thermocouple

Lee

Rally Organiser

Last time out we had problems with fridge, the igniter light intermittently flashing.
With the aid of a spoon and small bungy I managed a temporary repair.
Once home I inspected the burner to find the thermocouple had broken, I found a replacement, £11.98 for a universal one, one to fit my fridge £37.98.
Someone somewhere is making a bit of a profit, obviously the universal wasn't exactly the same and so I had to buy the more expensive one but they both must cost a similar amount to make.
That's the pleasure of owning a Motorhome I suppose and on the plus side I now can chill out with a working fridge.

Last time out we had problems with fridge, the igniter light intermittently flashing.
Once home I inspected the burner to find the thermocouple had broken, I found a replacement, £11.98 for a universal one, one to fit my fridge £37.98.
Someone somewhere is making a bit of a profit, obviously the universal wasn't exactly the same and so I had to buy the more expensive one but they both must cost a similar amount to make.
That's the pleasure of owning a Motorhome I suppose and on the plus side I now can chill out with a working fridge.

Lucky it's a motorhome and not a boat ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Lee
Our MoHo is 12 years old ( a bit like my brain)
We use Moho for 5 months for the last 5 years
Fridge on gas 95% when stood (we rarely use EHU)
This year
1 Burner burnt out (Italy)
2 Gas control valve failed (Germany)

Now 100% at a cost of about £250
As the French Yellow Vests might say "C'est La Vie"

• Sad
Reactions: Lee
Our MoHo is 12 years old ( a bit like my brain)
We use Moho for 5 months for the last 5 years
Fridge on gas 95% when stood (we rarely use EHU)
This year
1 Burner burnt out (Italy)
2 Gas control valve failed (Germany)

Now 100% at a cost of about £250
As the French Yellow Vests might say "C'est La Vie"

That makes my spend seem insignificant, I have already changed the burner last year but that was only about £35 , so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the Gas Valve hold up.

Interesting.
I had an seriously intermittent fault with my three-way fridge which took me getting on for two years to track down. It was a broken leaf spring making somewhat variable contact within a four pin connector at the rear of the fridge. Since then I've fitted a 300W Panasonic solar panel and am waiting for the fridge to die so that I have a good reason to install a compressor fridge connected to the 'load' terminals on the Victron controller.
Blöödy thing will no doubt out live me now the decision has been made.

Colin ???

Interesting.
I had an seriously intermittent fault with my three-way fridge which took me getting on for two years to track down. It was a broken leaf spring making somewhat variable contact within a four pin connector at the rear of the fridge. Since then I've fitted a 300W Panasonic solar panel and am waiting for the fridge to die so that I have a good reason to install a compressor fridge connected to the 'load' terminals on the Victron controller.
Blöödy thing will no doubt out live me now the decision has been made.

Colin ???

Touch wood, ours is working ok after playing up during the very hot weather, but i feel the same as you, and seriously thought about a compressor fridge for the future.

Touch wood, ours is working ok after playing up during the very hot weather, but i feel the same as you, and seriously thought about a compressor fridge for the future.

Now that higher output solar panels and controllers have pretty much come of age, I think it's the way to go, Sue.
I'm not going to scrap a working fridge - but it's on notice!

Colin :):):)

My concern with compressor fridges would be the noise.
We had one in New Zealand and also Australia and during the night when the motor cut in it became quite annoying.
So unless the new ones are quieter I have my reservations.

We had one in New Zealand and also Australia and during the night when the motor cut in it became quite annoying.

That's a very good point, Lee.
Chris (Edina) feels that the modern compressor fridges aren't too intrusive and since I'm audiologically challenged................

Colin ???

I fitted a universal thermocouple on mine but it came with different ends and luckily enough it included the right ones.
I have just had to change the 240v element on my fridge, the correct one is 135w and was £78 but I fitted an identical looking 125w element which was only £29, I only use EHU in winter so I don't think I will notice a difference

I rarely notice our Lee, it is a Waeco 110litre so a bit big for two really but we usually manage to fill it. Have a listen at Buggy if you want, like Colin I am a bit deaf on certain frequencies though :)

We had problems with our fridge in Germany, 240/12/ & gas, sorry just getting evening meal ready, our thermocouple looks like a normal one but is ELECTRICAL !!, will report back after tea

Yes, the one that fits costs more than a "normal" generic thermocouple, but nothing like £12. This one fits: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ce...es/sd2708/Super+Universal+Thermocouple/p44909 and it costs less than £7

We had problems with our fridge in Germany, 240/12/ & gas, sorry just getting evening meal ready, our thermocouple looks like a normal one but is ELECTRICAL !!, will report back after tea
All thermocouples are electric.

I beg to differ, the early thermocouples were “pressure” operated, alcohol in the tube expanded following heat up and opened the gas valve

I beg to differ, the early thermocouples were “pressure” operated, alcohol in the tube expanded following heat up and opened the gas valve

You're quite correct about the way some early thermostats worked, Nosmo King. I think Hairydog is specifically referring to the type of temperature control using thermocouples which, as you will be aware, generate a small electric current which in turn is used to control temperature.

Colin ???

My 3-way fridge has stopped working. I have no idea why, but it doesn't go. It seems to light but soon goes out. I've heard it suggested that it can help to take it out and turn it upside down (and back again!) for a (probably temporary) fix. Is that true? How would I know if it is the thermocoupler?

I’ll try and find the info on the thermocouple that I found whilst I was in Germany, it’s fairly easy to check and if necessary to change, on ours there are two screws on the top fridge panel, undo these and the front panel comes off (no problem) when this panel is off you can see the r/h side/rear of the thermostat control knob, if there’s a white block with two wires attached to it, it’s an electric thermostat, I’ll try and find the files I referred to, mine now works perfectly, it may be your flame end is just not set correctly (vibration etc), resetting it it is a doddle, the main problem is the contacts get dirty, dust etc, a quick clean and everything is tickety boo. Total cost is about 1 hour MAX

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back