From another Forum

Deleted member 144

**** link removed by Admin as it is a private facebook group****

Hi,just been turned back at the Swiss boarder for being 250 kilos over weight,I was wondering is it possible to up your vehicles maximum weight?
EEEKKKKK!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is - but not normally a roadside job!
Sounds as if you have to find a nearby self storage unit if you want to go to Switzerland ?

My first thought was, kick the wife out.
But 250 kilos ? I’d be asking for trouble ??
As it’s off a different forum, I could be safe.

**** link removed by Admin as it is a private facebook group****

Hi,just been turned back at the Swiss boarder for being 250 kilos over weight,I was wondering is it possible to up your vehicles maximum weight?
EEEKKKKK!!
He was lucky from what I can see? just getting turned away? in the UK he would have had a hefty fine I understand?

He was lucky from what I can see? just getting turned away? in the UK he would have had a hefty fine I understand?
250KG over on a 3500KG vehicle is just over 7%. In the UK the fixed penalty fine is £100 for 5-10% overweight.

And it's not endorsable apparently.
Making me rethink my planned axle uprating!
10-15% is £200 fine but 'allows' getting on for 600kg on my MAM.
The real penalty is having to halt the journey of course.
I suppose being turned away from one country isn't too bad if there are no other borders on your route home!

I had never heard of vans being weighed as they entered a country. Is this normal for Switzerland?
Are there any other countries where people have been weighed at the border?

I had never heard of vans being weighed as they entered a country. Is this normal for Switzerland?
Are there any other countries where people have been weighed at the border?

We’ve crossed into Switzerland quite a few times over the years and never been directed to a weighbridge ......

We’ve crossed into Switzerland quite a few times over the years and never been directed to a weighbridge ......
maybe they look at the gap between tyre and arch as an initial idea? that is a pretty good indication of weight (Ford (and maybe others) actually publish in their brochures how high a vehicle is unladen and how high it is at full GVW - that difference is visible at the wheel/arch gap)

And it's not endorsable apparently.
Making me rethink my planned axle uprating!
10-15% is £200 fine but 'allows' getting on for 600kg on my MAM.
The real penalty is having to halt the journey of course.
I suppose being turned away from one country isn't too bad if there are no other borders on your route home!
The other negative is what you have to unload before continuing on !

I wonder if there is a "naughty boy" database you get entered in as well and get flagged for checking everytime you get identified on ANPR systems :geek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back