front hub and strut

seadogjon

Free Member

Hi all..am putting new struts and springs on a 91 ducato,one side went fairly easy but on the other one of the bolts through the steering arm strut and in to the hub sheered at the head and nothing is gonna shift it.
looks like a take the hub and strut assembly off as one,
question is the hub nut is torqued up to 500nm? might get it off but a torque wrench that size ?
could i get it near and drive to town to get it done ..its driving me nuts at the minute .any tips appreciated,,jon

Get a 1/2 drive socket on it and a 2foot bar and stand on the end of it . If you are of average weight then that should be tight enough . Then go to a garage and get it checked . :)

Hi all..am putting new struts and springs on a 91 ducato,one side went fairly easy but on the other one of the bolts through the steering arm strut and in to the hub sheered at the head and nothing is gonna shift it.
looks like a take the hub and strut assembly off as one,
question is the hub nut is torqued up to 500nm? might get it off but a torque wrench that size ?
could i get it near and drive to town to get it done ..its driving me nuts at the minute .any tips appreciated,,jon
I had to take the wheel off of a big farm trailer, it hadn't been off for about 10 years so sprayed WD40 on it, heated it, got a 3ft scaffold pole & a 3/4 sliding T bar, stood on the end & jumped a few times but it wouldn't move.
So we got a 20ft pole on the T bar with the end up by the tractor & drove forward. The wheel slid a bit but the nut came off no bother!

Phill

I had to take the wheel off of a big farm trailer, it hadn't been off for about 10 years so sprayed WD40 on it, heated it, got a 3ft scaffold pole & a 3/4 sliding T bar, stood on the end & jumped a few times but it wouldn't move.
So we got a 20ft pole on the T bar with the end up by the tractor & drove forward. The wheel slid a bit but the nut came off no bother!

Phill
nothing but nothing is moving my nut..on close inspection of the thread its been rove on cross threaded so looking at cutting the drive shaft off and getting it on a bench and trying cutting the nut off..love to get hold of the tw.t what did it...jon

Have you got room around the nut to use a nut splitter?
Cocraft Nut Splitters

Is it not possible to get a small angle grinder in to cut the nut and replace with new .I know this sounds excessive but needs must ,best of luck anyway.

A dremel with a cut off wheel might do it, you'll go through a few blades but it'll get there in the end.

Have you thought about using the big red wrench, heat it to bright red then squirt WD40 on it, making sure you stay out the way of the brief burst of flames of course!!

A good cold chisel could be the way, but bare in mind to check if you have electric power steering, if you have, don't hit it!!!!

Phill

The nut is resessed in the hub so hard to get at ,just borrowed a big cordless wrench ,dont think it shift it but worth trying.then cold chisel..
thanks for the replies ,,jon.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back