FUEL CONSUMPTION

Just under 24 mpg on a single run from Midlands to Hayling Island & back last week. 2.8jtd Fiat Ducato, Hymer Swing 524, 6 birth high roof, big over cab bed, that cuts MPG.

Currently in Italian lakes area and average from home 31.6 even if not accurate I guess if u use computer guide as just that comparatively it is useful.
2.3 fiat ducato low profile 130 Bhopal, Nat look at getting chipped for economy and top gear torque when warranty runs out in March!!!

Just under 24 mpg on a single run from Midlands to Hayling Island & back last week. 2.8jtd Fiat Ducato, Hymer Swing 524, 6 birth high roof, big over cab bed, that cuts MPG.

I am not so sure that an overcab does cut mpg Chas, my previous motorhome was a 6 berth, overcab bed, Peugeot, Sarasota by Autocruise, basically same engine as now (2.8TD) and much better fuel consumption than my current slab fronted A class.

WHHAAT? 6.3t and 30mpg?

My A class is rated at 4.5t, 2.8 Jtd Fiat. but I am pretty sure it is nowhere near 4.5t, and I get 20mpg !!!

I get around 20mpg with my 7.5t truck with a 4.5 litre engine,you should be doing better than that,although that mileage is on A roads and motorways.

I get around 20mpg with my 7.5t truck with a 4.5 litre engine,you should be doing better than that,although that mileage is on A roads and motorways.

Not bad, especially if you need the payload that the 7.5t gives you.

A 44t artic. has a payload of c. 30tonnes, so 6-8mpg makes it very efficient
on fuel consumption for every tonne carried.
If only I could justify carrying 30 tonnes around!!

Been logging consumption for the last few fills. Achieving 29 mpg. The on-board computer on the dashboard says only 27. Given we are over 4.3 ton we are pretty happy with this. At the end of the day we just travel where we want to.

Last edited:
How are you getting on with her? Our identical van (if I remember correctly) regularly returns 34+ unless we are crawling round the mountains - unlikely in Norfolk!
Thanks to Vantuner the EGR on ours has stopped working and she runs sooo much better as a result. And it doesn’t cost £300 about every 18 months!

We did about 5200 miles from Scotland to Portugal and back this summer via France & Spain, on all types of roads and terrains, and averaged 20mpg. I can only dream of some of the fuel consumption figures quoted on this thread, but then I am driving 5 tonnes with the aerodynamics of a giant house brick!

Slightly off topic but related.
And not necessarily all based on fact but it's generally accepted that diesel engines
will last longer than an equivalent petrol engine, assuming all such as usage
conditions etc are the same.
This is down to an accepted fact that diesel fuel will lubricate cylinder walls valve stems
better than petrol, even though both are in atomised form when entering the combustion chamber.
Whereas LPG is a dry fuel and will have virtually no lubrication properties.
So wouldn't it be reasonable to consider some additional cost when using LPG.?

Bosch apparently will be bringing out a car battery weighing about 200kg. replacement for
the current batts. weighing 500kg.Could be great opportunity for someone to produce slot-in
replacement electric motor for the present day most popular vans having spare payload (or upgradable)
able to carry say a pair of car battery equivalents.
Just chuck away the existing diesel, petrol, LPG, lump and gearbox clutch, swap out for a giant
washing machine motor and a massive Duracell AA clone.
Yes I know it probably couldn't be done for less than the cost a new electric van, back to square one!

I'm in the market for a newer van and see a lot of these Euro 6 Diesels I know they are supposed to be greener but has anyone any experiance of the engine and MPG for a 3500 Kg van

Rae
So you're you're not entirely happy with the 'new' engine now it's run-in.

In other threads we see Shell phasing out Autogas in favour of electric points.

I'm in the market for a newer van and see a lot of these Euro 6 Diesels I know they are supposed to be greener but has anyone any experiance of the engine and MPG for a 3500 Kg van
i get 30 mpg out of my euro6 after 14,000 miles its now run in

Is that an online form of some sorts, looks much better than our scruffy book with my iffy calculations.

Mark

Hi Mark, sorry been away again!

www.fuelly.com

We have used it since we got the van and it is about as accurate as you can get given the inaccuracy of the speedo readings.

Pete

To be honest it’s not something I bother checking apart from the onboard fiat mpg monitor. Regarding spreadsheets to log miles, fuel used & cost per litre of diesel I worked with spreadsheets for 30 years when working in manufacturing so bugger that, better things to do with my time.

Simple enter of mileage, price and litres. Takes 30 seconds and I get as accurate as can readings. Of course I would still use the van with worse mileage, but to be able to see total spend and miles at a glance is good.

www.fuelly.com

lpg is usually a power reduction on petrol running , the older non multipoint injection type lpg systems never were very efficient , they need to be set a bit on the rich side .

Just back from a trip to northern Italy which involved traversing the Alps 3 times and we did 2700 miles at 23.7mpg.

This is in a 2017 2.3 litre 180 PS Ducato. In my last MH which was the 2102 3.0 litre 180 HP version I wuld have expected north of 26mpg!

It was great though
smile.gif

Graham
smile.gif

I love the views going over the alps, but Anita is too scared of the drops on little roads to drive. So I can't fully enjoy the experience.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back