Fuel filter

Deleted member 574

Hi.
Has anyone changed their own fuel filter on a Fiat Ducato 2011 model?

I have been advised to replace the complete unit. This is due to leaks/cracking if you dismantle the unit & only replace the filter.
A new one is approx £80.

Is it an easy fit & does it self bleed?
Any help & advice much appreciated.

Adrian

Yes I have very recently. It is NOT a diy job out in the field. Because of the way it is made from a hard plastic is must be dissembled in a secure vice using a special tool. The tool is cheap £12-15 something like that look to get one from Laser. I’ll go look for the part number and edit this later.

If you are using the tool it is a very quick and easy job to do, the filter is also very easy to remove the hoses simply plug in with an electrical lead top and bottom. The filter must be placed inside the tool and carefully undone, empty out the fuel, dump the filter and then insert the new filter, put the top back on and using the tool you must put the top back on using a torque wrench. It can split if you’re not careful. Later models went to a solid filter, much easier.

I have heard of any people having a split casing which results then in a very expensive and awkward repair bill, it normally happens on a Sunday miles from civilisation, I’ve seen one first hand.

I always carry a spare new filter assembly just in case.

Here’s some pics of mine, along with a printout of the instructions I downloaded from Blueprint. Along with a pic of the tools components.

969348B5-BF3C-4E41-81BE-656351F7F6BD.jpegCC092BB4-AA45-48C0-AA7C-EAC46DE564C9.jpegF3D81CB8-7F33-4780-B8D9-6773C18C9B33.jpeg3B7621A7-F5C2-4B55-BFCE-C2452979B1E9.jpeg92FCFC8E-F8DF-4C77-9C0E-2CEAC3F40B3D.jpeg

I wouldn't bother trying to replace the filter element, you have every chance it will leak as mine and many others have done, even when done by a very good mechanic. Far better to buy a complete new housing with filter already inside. Around £80, then deduct what you would have paid for a filet alone and the cost is minimal compared to other service items. Peace of mind for a few quid and 10/15 mins work..

Goes without saying do not buy from a dealer at silly prices, Ebay is your friend here.

Fiat sure are frustrating. On the Ducato the Euro 4 is the replacement cartridge with the known problems. Euro 5 a complete metal filter which takes less than 5 minutes to change and euro 6 back to replacement cartridge albeit with a metal housing.
In my opinion the Euro5 was the best as there was very little labour involved in replacing the filter

@landsm - sorry I have to disagree with this. The element is cheap as chips, and provided you have done as I’ve suggested and got the correct tool then a service will not cost a great deal each time. My suggestion is to get an element, a tool and a complete filter first of all. Remove the element as detailed above and once it has been done you would then have a serviced filter and a new spare.

Last time mine was changed it leaked and they could not seal it.
So had to fit new unit .Not easy job.

Instruction Video here give you an idea what to expect if your considering DIY Don't forget the Torque wrench

@landsm - sorry I have to disagree with this. The element is cheap as chips, and provided you have done as I’ve suggested and got the correct tool then a service will not cost a great deal each time. My suggestion is to get an element, a tool and a complete filter first of all. Remove the element as detailed above and once it has been done you would then have a serviced filter and a new spare.

Mine was done by Diamond Dave , he knows his stuff but after 500 miles it dribbled. It was done again by again by a well respected dealer and they couln’t stop it leaking. I know for a fact that on both occasions the correct tools and method were used. The dealer recommended a new housing at ridiculous price so i bought a new one on eBay around £80. No issues 20000 miles later. I did keep the old one as a spare but hope never to need it.

The internet has numerous reports of filter housings failing before a first filter change and after being changed at Fiat Professional agents. It cannot be a coincidence that the euro6 housing is metal with the two parts being joined by torx bolts.Engine comp NS.JPG

OK, we’ll agree to disagree, but tens of thousands of filters changed regularly isn’t resulting in tens of thousands of problems and from my experience in the motor trade changes are made regularly to items, sometimes to fix existing problems, others are in order to make things cheaper. I’m very happy to change my filter the next time it’s required, but I will still carry a new one just in case it happens to me.

The internet has numerous reports of filter housings failing before a first filter change and after being changed at Fiat Professional agents

So even if you buy and carry a spare that could fail at any time better to carry 2 hose clips and a short length of fuel pipe to use in a emergency

Thanks for all your help & advice. Decided to play safe & go for the complete unit.
Cheers
Adrian

OK, we’ll agree to disagree, but tens of thousands of filters changed regularly isn’t resulting in tens of thousands of problems and from my experience in the motor trade changes are made regularly to items, sometimes to fix existing problems, others are in order to make things cheaper. I’m very happy to change my filter the next time it’s required, but I will still carry a new one just in case it happens to me.

Good plan. Of course soda law come into play and you will never get another leak(y)

So even if you buy and carry a spare that could fail at any time better to carry 2 hose clips and a short length of fuel pipe to use in a emergency

If you don't mind straying from 'standard' why not have a look around a scrappy and buy a bog standard standalone Peugeot one for example? They'll not fall to bits and the filters are dirt cheap... I also plumbed in one of those rubber 'squeezee' fuel pumps to save churning the engine over forever to bleed the juice through.

Having a sort-out in my stealth Sprinter t'other day I noticed I'd accumulated 4 spares... about 4 times better than having none I guess.

Roll on electric vehicles... all this pandering to antique technology surely won't be missed....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back