Fuel prices again

I don’t understand how diesel can be so cheap in N Ireland today I filled up for £1.63 just before we crossed over to Donegal even around Belfast it was £1.73 the best I seen in Scotland last week was £1.84 that’s a big difference on a full tank. If I had some drums I’d be filling them and taking it home at £1.63
I’m in Hungary at the moment. Back in April the fuel was heavily discounted (just over £1 a litre). Of course the surrounding countries were taking advantage and all trooping in to fill up. Apparently Romanians were coming across the border and filling up huge lorries and then decanting it and selling it the other side. Now the discount is only for Hungarian registered vehicles and that has to be proven. There is also now a limit on how many litres you can buy. I’m not entitled to the discount and I pay about £1.54 per litre with no limit. I’m happy with that

Fact is the gov are pushing you to go electric, prices will not come down much and in fact may go to £5 a LTR close to 2030.
In the early stages of the pandemic, oil prices dropped like a stone, going negative at one stage (storage shortage). Might be a repeat as 2030 looms large, IF the EV infrastructure is present. And Johnson's Govt made a headline that all new buildings would have charging points, before withdrawing the stipulation, sotto voce, almost immediately
These U Turns play havoc with fuel consumption ... 🙄

Steve

Having sold my Petrol station 12 months ago and know first hand the problems of trying to cover costs during the Covid and these guys are trying to make a business work when you have a reducing turn over due to there customers working from home and more and more EV on the road plus the doubling of electric costs ( my garage monthly bill was £2000 12 months ago ) give them a bit of slack.
Thank you for striking a balance you make a good point. I suppose I was emphasizing the selflessness of my local garage and contrasting prices with the other alternative.

Having sold my Petrol station 12 months ago and know first hand the problems of trying to cover costs during the Covid and these guys are trying to make a business work when you have a reducing turn over due to there customers working from home and more and more EV on the road plus the doubling of electric costs ( my garage monthly bill was £2000 12 months ago ) give them a bit of slack.
How it can be 30p a litre cheaper in N Ireland than it is in Scotland it’s bought in on an open market. 2p a litre difference then I can live with but the big chains and supermarkets are the ones who are at it. I feel sorry for any small independent businesses but it’s costing me an extra £700 to £1000 a month. And that’s just work not the car or motorhome.

How it can be 30p a litre cheaper in N Ireland than it is in Scotland it’s bought in on an open market. 2p a litre difference then I can live with but the big chains and supermarkets are the ones who are at it. I feel sorry for any small independent businesses but it’s costing me an extra £700 to £1000 a month. And that’s just work not the car or motorhome.
Is that £1000 plus tacks, or £700 if you just tie them on with string? Recycling of the old condom joke here ... 🤭

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back