Garmin Sat nav updating

Carrerasax

I have twice had issues getting misrouted to dodgy virus scam websites when connecting to Garmin express site for update process.
Also would like to upload POIs from WC to help find places in Portugal this year.
Anyone any helpful advice?

That’s helpful, I’ll try that.
I just thought Garmin express was th way to do it!!

I tried to update my Garmin camper before we left for Portugal but when we got here we had no maps for Spain or Portugal, everything else is there (poi etc) but not the mapping. Fortunately I have brought the car one with us which I didn't have time to do the update on fortunately, so we're still soldiering on. Help and advice more than welcome.

Delete Garmin Express and the POI Loader from your PC and download them again from Garmin.

They are very easy to install on the sat nav using the instructions on the POI download page on WC
Grrrrrrrr not easy for me but trouble is I am using an old laptop that is not supported by chrome and seems to struggle with internet connection .
Icons bottom right say connected give speed and say excellent signal,
I have tried using internet explorer. Are there any other providers?

Is there anyone else ( family or friend ) with a newer computer that will support Chrome and would let you use it ?

Yes my thoughts . Will have to catch son in a good mood!!!🤣

Perhaps I’ll try the library pc then or can’t u do this stuff on them?
As I said I’ve twice had virus issues from scam sites when trying to do it!!!!

I tried to update my Garmin camper before we left for Portugal but when we got here we had no maps for Spain or Portugal, everything else is there (poi etc) but not the mapping. Fortunately I have brought the car one with us which I didn't have time to do the update on fortunately, so we're still soldiering on. Help and advice more than welcome.
Do you have a laptop with you Peter?, it can be done remotely if you have

I reset mine to default and love it, I'm off-roading every time I go the M6 toll road ..

Perhaps I’ll try the library pc then or can’t u do this stuff on them?
As I said I’ve twice had virus issues from scam sites when trying to do it!!!!

I really do not think you can do it on the library PC.

Firstly you need to download from the links i gave which are the " official " Garmin ones Garmin Express and Garmin POI Loader.

Please do not get them from one of the many other " POI / sat nav " sites that are out there.

Connect the sat nav preferably with the supplied Garmin cable to the PC and update it through Garmin Express

Then you need to download the WC POI`s and then you can follow the instructions in the POI Download section over on WC.

I have never used a Garmin SatNav.
Why is it so difficult ?
I use TomTom and likesay "Tezza33" I know what to do.
However TomTom is not "easy peasy"
Garmin and TomTom are the market leaders...but not in terms of ease of updating.

Like many similar problems NOT difficult
Either easy or IMPOSSIBLE

I have the experience/knowledge/background/determination to DO
But appreciate that most Android systems work well !
My experiences with Apple/Ios have been "Not Good"
But that is another thread !

Strikes me they want people to give in and buy new one every few years!!!!
Signed... cynical!!!

I have never used a Garmin SatNav.
Why is it so difficult ?
I use TomTom and likesay "Tezza33" I know what to do.
However TomTom is not "easy peasy"
Garmin and TomTom are the market leaders...but not in terms of ease of updating.

Like many similar problems NOT difficult
Either easy or IMPOSSIBLE

I have the experience/knowledge/background/determination to DO
But appreciate that most Android systems work well !
My experiences with Apple/Ios have been "Not Good"
But that is another thread !

I don’t think it is difficult having used both IOS and Windows, the updates are usually seamless, albeit they take a long time if it is a large map update. The key to this thread is the OP’s bad luck in picking up some form of scam website when trying to update. It may be possible to use Firefox instead of Chrome, but I think the issues lie with the laptop rather than Garmin or TomTom. It sounds as though the laptop needs a thorough virus check.

Do you have a laptop with you Peter?, it can be done remotely if you have
Thanks Terry, but as luck would have it we met up with a fellow WC member, owlhouse, who is satnag savvy and he has sorted me out (I hope), well the maps are there, once again the fellowship is working.

Just to clarify, this should be straightforward enough via any browser but it honestly sounds as though the laptop is too out of date to support current software. Probably for the same reason it doesn't sound as though there's any protection on the computer, hence the browser hijacking. Some kind of virus or malicious software on the computer could also explain the slow internet connection. If it can't be cleaned and updated, borrowing another computer may well be the best answer.

I had a similar issue to oppy. Updated my Garmin, got to France and no maps! Friend sorted it out very quickly when we got to Portugal. I had not added the western Europe maps!

Just to clarify, this should be straightforward enough via any browser but it honestly sounds as though the laptop is too out of date to support current software. Probably for the same reason it doesn't sound as though there's any protection on the computer, hence the browser hijacking. Some kind of virus or malicious software on the computer could also explain the slow internet connection. If it can't be cleaned and updated, borrowing another computer may well be the best answer.
It's good that stuff is fairly straightforward, but sadly I only have brain cells singular and I am completely inept with technical issues these days, which is why I am dependent upon the charity of our WC family

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back