Gaslow/Gasit or Underslung Tank

Amazing considering there is only one supplier in Edinburgh . Actually Fisherrow not even Edinburgh
I'm in the Scottish Borders and my nearest supplier is around 20 miles away on the A1 at the service station at the junction around where you turn to go to Lindisfarne.
I run one refillable and one exchangeable to give both options (no use having a refillable bottle for cheaper gas if you can't refill it, is it?).
The comments about "use refillable and if stuck put a calor gas bottle on the BBQ point" is all well and good IF you have somewhere to carry the calor gas bottle! (well, I guess I do - I keep it in the Gas Locker, and as it is in there I may as well use the internal gas connection rather than the BBW Point ;) ).

I'm in the Scottish Borders and my nearest supplier is around 20 miles away on the A1 at the service station at the junction around where you turn to go to Lindisfarne.
I run one refillable and one exchangeable to give both options (no use having a refillable bottle for cheaper gas if you can't refill it, is it?).
The comments about "use refillable and if stuck put a calor gas bottle on the BBQ point" is all well and good IF you have somewhere to carry the calor gas bottle! (well, I guess I do - I keep it in the Gas Locker, and as it is in there I may as well use the internal gas connection rather than the BBW Point ;) ).
That supply option on the A1 junction is so famous that they wrote a song about it; 'Meet me on the Corner' by Lindisfarne ... :D

Steve

Where physically did they fit the tank? be interested to see a photo if you have one. I have an Gaslow bottle in the standard place and it would be handy to have more external locker space.
Hopefully, you'll be able to see from these three. IMG_4850.jpegIMG_4851.jpegIMG_4852.jpeg
It's just behind the door step and just in front of a cross member. The only point that controlled what size tank could be fitted was the location of the drain from the shower tray. Autogas needed to see to be sure.

Thanks. I might drop by Autogas 2000 next month for Charlie to have a look (y)

I called in on my way back from the Orkney meet to see about having a larger tank fitted, he told me how big a tank he could get in, but didn’t have one in that size and told me he would phone me when he had one in and could fit it for me,
That was back in June, And he still hasn’t phoned, but I have now bought one and fitted it myself, saving myself over £700 on the price he quoted

I can’t see any advantage to a manual changeover. The gauges seem pretty accurate so it‘s easy to check what remains. We leave heat on at night and like a warm van. The two 6kg bottles have never proved too small in 7 years, the nearest to using them up being a freezing 5 days one new year. When we had a boat it had a manual change and the bottle always seemed to expire on a wet and windy night! Hence my enthusiasm for the auto.
But at least better than having to disconnect one bottle and connect the other - on a wet and windy night or in rough seas mid-Channel!

One of each - if you can get LPG locally then keep it topped up as you pass. Use the LPG (Gaslow with external filler point) and switch to Calor one if LPG runs out. Make the Calor one the easier/more accessible to lift out. You will be lifting it out much less frequently than you are at present. If LPG is scarce in an area you are visiting you still have a Calor to swap.

But at least better than having to disconnect one bottle and connect the other - on a wet and windy night or in rough seas mid-Channel!
You can have both bottles - including a Refillable and a Swappable pair connected physically at the same time. So changing over is no harder than opening one valve and closing the other and no need to get a spanner out ;)

PS. disconnecting and reconnecting bottles in rough seas mid-channel? on what Ferry line would that be even a possible scenario in a motorhome?

We solved this problem by replacing our two 6kg Calor bottles with just ONE 11kg Gaslow (refillable) bottle. Much, much cheaper than two 6kg Gaslow bottles, and holds almost as much gas. And no lifting anymore! The gauge gives us a good idea of how much gas is in the bottle, so can refill when it is about three quarters empty. Also leaves room in the cupboard for the electric cable, fresh water hoses, etc.

You can have both bottles - including a Refillable and a Swappable pair connected physically at the same time. So changing over is no harder than opening one valve and closing the other and no need to get a spanner out ;)

PS. disconnecting and reconnecting bottles in rough seas mid-channel? on what Ferry line would that be even a possible scenario in a motorhome?
Brittany Ferries ran a Summer overnight service Le Havre to Portsmouth offering 'Basic Cabins' [no carpet} and one crossing we took was so rough, that it took me 3 attempts to be able to stop at the bathroom door for the 3am call of nature. laine's heartfelt question, 'Stephen, what ARE you doing?' still spring to mind, together with the gentler follow up of 'Wondered how many attempts it would take you to get in ....'

Steve aka Fred Drift

When you swap bottles, you need two, so you have gas when you run out. With a refillable system, the idea is that you never run out. Like the fuel tank, you tip up before it's empty.
This means that one 11kg refillable is cheaper and easier, but as good, as two 6kg refillables. However, 11kg is very little.
I have an underslung tank that's a nominal 70 litres, but that means it only holds 28KG of propane. For my van(which is quite large so takes a fair bit of heating) I'd not want less gas.
With refillables, you become aware of the huge differences in LPG prices across the country, and of areas where refilling is less easy as well as less cheap.
I tend to fill up when I'm passing a cheap place. This means a bit of spare tank capacity is useful, if you have the payload.

I never said anything about a ferry or a motorhome. A refillable would not have been much use, as I am not aware of any decent marine LPG pump network. If you look back at my post, you will see that I was responding to @2cv, who referred to a manual changeover on a boat. On my yacht (since sold), there was originally not even a manual changeover; it was necessary to hold the connector/regulator, spin the empty Camping Gaz 907 bottle off it and spin the full bottle up onto it. Not easy in rough seas in mid-Channel, so I upgraded to a Gaslow manual changeover.

I never said anything about a ferry or a motorhome. A refillable would not have been much use, as I am not aware of any decent marine LPG pump network. If you look back at my post, you will see that I was responding to @2cv, who referred to a manual changeover on a boat. On my yacht (since sold), there was originally not even a manual changeover; it was necessary to hold the connector/regulator, spin the empty Camping Gaz 907 bottle off it and spin the full bottle up onto it. Not easy in rough seas in mid-Channel, so I upgraded to a Gaslow manual changeover.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, given this is a MOTORHOME Forum, not a Boating one. Chill out.

When you swap bottles, you need two, so you have gas when you run out. With a refillable system, the idea is that you never run out. Like the fuel tank, you tip up before it's empty.
This means that one 11kg refillable is cheaper and easier, but as good, as two 6kg refillables. However, 11kg is very little.
I have an underslung tank that's a nominal 70 litres, but that means it only holds 28KG of propane. For my van(which is quite large so takes a fair bit of heating) I'd not want less gas.
With refillables, you become aware of the huge differences in LPG prices across the country, and of areas where refilling is less easy as well as less cheap.
I tend to fill up when I'm passing a cheap place. This means a bit of spare tank capacity is useful, if you have the payload.
Our Gaslow 11kg bottle 1 appeared to be a wee way past half empty after our freezing night at Flodden Field, so decided to refill yesterday at Morrisons. Expected to put in 6+ litres, but the full signal appeared at 3.81 litres. About 5 patient minutes later, 1/100 litre at a time, we got the gauge to 5.01 Litres ... 🙄

Steve

We have two 11kg Gaslow with a regulator and a length of tubing and a a push connector on each bottle. Couldn't be bothered fitting auto changeover and use the barbecue on whichever bottle isn't in use for the van, As has been said just fill up whenever one bottle is getting down or empty.

Cheers

H

Our Gaslow 11kg bottle 1 appeared to be a wee way past half empty after our freezing night at Flodden Field, so decided to refill yesterday at Morrisons. Expected to put in 6+ litres, but the full signal appeared at 3.81 litres. About 5 patient minutes later, 1/100 litre at a time, we got the gauge to 5.01 Litres ... 🙄

Steve
This is VERY bad practice!
what you are doing is fooling the 80% cut-off valve and filling the cylinder with liq uid gas. In extreme cases this liquid gas can enter the LPG system’s pipeline and even find its way as far as a gas jet or hob ring.
You’ll also find that there will be a smell of gas sometimes as the cylinder vents due to excess pressure.
You need to disconnect the pigtail and manually vent off the excess liquid gas until it changes to a gas and then continue forva bit longer to get gas levels down to near the 80% line.
PS. Do this in an isolated place as your neighbour will be reporting a gas leak!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back