Gaslow/Gasit or Underslung Tank

autogas at thirsk are worth a visit if it’s feasible for you will supply & fit any system you need & advise , personally i would go with the underslung tank as big as poss at 1.95 ltrs to the kg a 30kg tank will give you almost 60ltrs of gas
Agree.
All down to cost !
But it would also free up the gas locker.

I can’t see any advantage to a manual changeover. The gauges seem pretty accurate so it‘s easy to check what remains. We leave heat on at night and like a warm van. The two 6kg bottles have never proved too small in 7 years, the nearest to using them up being a freezing 5 days one new year. When we had a boat it had a manual change and the bottle always seemed to expire on a wet and windy night! Hence my enthusiasm for the auto.

If you do go for an underslung tank, then I suggest you give the tank a liberal coating of some rust prevention non drying coating as these tanks as well as their mounting straps (most especially the straps) are made of steel which rusts quite quickly.

But as for me and my campervan gas installation, I went for a lightweight SafeFill glass-fibre tank which is about half the weight of most normal tanks with the exception of the Alugaz aluminium tanks.
The only major problem with the SafeFill tanks is that they only have a single gas outlet/inlet point, as such it normally wouldn't be possible to have an external filling point, however having had a lengthy chat with the very helpful boss of Gasit we came up with a system which works, so I now have an external filling point as well.

Last edited:
I operate a low tech approach; before the start of each trip, I open the gas cupboard and have a look at the gauges. As soon as the first bottle is around 50%, I call in at Morrisons or Asda and combine the diesel refuel with a gas refill ...

Steve
I like low tech! Thanks

I can’t see any advantage to a manual changeover. The gauges seem pretty accurate so it‘s easy to check what remains. We leave heat on at night and like a warm van. The two 6kg bottles have never proved too small in 7 years, the nearest to using them up being a freezing 5 days one new year. When we had a boat it had a manual change and the bottle always seemed to expire on a wet and windy night! Hence my enthusiasm for the auto.
I was only going with manual as I already have one! :)

Gasit cylinders in the locker, most of us will never use the contents of an underfloor tank between possible filling up opportunities, more expensive and prone to rust, can reduce ground clearance too.

Do you have any problems with the heating fan draining your leisure battery? We used the heating for about 4 hrs last week [1st time really used 'in anger' since we bought the M/Home in Apr 21 at nearly 5 yrs old] and suffered a 2 or 3 secs power failure. The power reset itself without intervention by us, but the Truma 6E threw a 170 Fault Code 'Low Battery current'] which was ridiculous because the Lithium Battery was brand new in mid Jul 21 and the Starter Battery was upgraded and replaced on 24 Nov 21, and we had driven some 85 miles to the overnight pitch! The Starter Battery was showing 12.88v and the Leisure Battery around 13.3v from Multimeter readings, but we ran the engine just to be safe and also turned the heating off

The following morning, we had to use the heating to clear the humidity/ice from the M/home interior, and the heating started without a problem, except the fan was much noisier than it had been on the previous night [no fan settings altered] AND the M/Home interior warmed up much faster. It was as though the fan had shifted a lump of muck [M/Home had had very little use before we bought it, 8757 miles in 4 yrs 11 mths] or similar and had been able to reach proper operating speed, hence the noisier operation. The M/Home maintenance record was very patchy, and every time we have delved beneath seats, or moved the Dining Table, we have uncovered gritty lumps of muck and lubricant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Truma had acquired its own 'bogey ball'. There was no burning or similar smell when the heating was operating, or when the power cut occurred.

I phoned Truma when we got home, and they say the 170 Fault Code refers to a Gas Spark/Lighter fault [not what the 6E Manual says], and both M/Home batteries have performed perfectly in the following 10 days, so the episode is a mystery!

Steve

We had Autogas at Thirsk install a 25kg tank under our Autocruise Rhythm in Dec '19. They did a great job and left provision to have a single bottle in an emergency, but we've not needed it. They have onsite parking with electric hookup if you are travelling.

So glad we did it - mainly because it frees the gas locker for other rubbish :)

One thing to note: the gauge on the dash is very inaccurate. it drops to half-full pretty quickly and then never moves again until you are down to about 10%.

We had Autogas at Thirsk install a 25kg tank under our Autocruise Rhythm in Dec '19. They did a great job and left provision to have a single bottle in an emergency, but we've not needed it. They have onsite parking with electric hookup if you are travelling.

One thing to note: the gauge on the dash is very inaccurate. it drops to half-full pretty quickly and then never moves again until you are down to about 10%.
Where physically did they fit the tank? be interested to see a photo if you have one. I have an Gaslow bottle in the standard place and it would be handy to have more external locker space.

Where physically did they fit the tank? be interested to see a photo if you have one. I have an Gaslow bottle in the standard place and it would be handy to have more external locker space.
I'll do one tomorrow.

Our last motorhome we had 2 6kg refillable bottles I used to keep them on manual change over, that way I knew how long had got before needing to fill up.
But the van we have now came with a under slung tank and no where to put bottles, if it had I would go back to bottles,

I fitted 2 x 6kg Gaslow bottles I picked up off Facebook market place for less than £100...
Still plenty of test date left...

Another £50 for a fill hose/point

And we never looked back...
Paid for themselves several times over compared to Calor...

There's a few less LPG places around now BUT I doubt it disappearing anytime soon....
Nearest place is yards away from home and 2 full bottles last a good while especially in summer (even more so now I've removed the 3 way fridge and swapped it for a 240v/inverter)

Screenshot_20220113-184342_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220113-184332_Gallery.jpg

Think this is a common complaint

+1 vote. We had the same system fitted by Autoleisure, just outside Thirsk,in mid July, and it is brilliant, and a lot less aggro than exchanging bottles. Asda at one end of Kirkcaldy sells LPG, as does Morrisons at the other end of town, so we're spoiled for choice!

Steve
Amazing considering there is only one supplier in Edinburgh . Actually Fisherrow not even Edinburgh

Do you have any problems with the heating fan draining your leisure battery? We used the heating for about 4 hrs last week [1st time really used 'in anger' since we bought the M/Home in Apr 21 at nearly 5 yrs old] and suffered a 2 or 3 secs power failure. The power reset itself without intervention by us, but the Truma 6E threw a 170 Fault Code 'Low Battery current'] which was ridiculous because the Lithium Battery was brand new in mid Jul 21 and the Starter Battery was upgraded and replaced on 24 Nov 21, and we had driven some 85 miles to the overnight pitch! The Starter Battery was showing 12.88v and the Leisure Battery around 13.3v from Multimeter readings, but we ran the engine just to be safe and also turned the heating off

The following morning, we had to use the heating to clear the humidity/ice from the M/home interior, and the heating started without a problem, except the fan was much noisier than it had been on the previous night [no fan settings altered] AND the M/Home interior warmed up much faster. It was as though the fan had shifted a lump of muck [M/Home had had very little use before we bought it, 8757 miles in 4 yrs 11 mths] or similar and had been able to reach proper operating speed, hence the noisier operation. The M/Home maintenance record was very patchy, and every time we have delved beneath seats, or moved the Dining Table, we have uncovered gritty lumps of muck and lubricant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Truma had acquired its own 'bogey ball'. There was no burning or similar smell when the heating was operating, or when the power cut occurred.

I phoned Truma when we got home, and they say the 170 Fault Code refers to a Gas Spark/Lighter fault [not what the 6E Manual says], and both M/Home batteries have performed perfectly in the following 10 days, so the episode is a mystery!

Steve
The leisure battery in my van is only 110 ah but the van is small and it’s only got a Combi 4e. Normally we move most days but it just coped with 5 days at that new year, with a little help from a 100w panel. For charging i pads and phones we have a 39ah golf cart battery but rarely need to use it. There is certainly no room to fit another lb. I‘ve never had the Truma fan stop because of low volts, but the 12v system shuts at about 12.4v.

Steve
Thanks, no not had any problem with battery drain

I fitted 2 x 6kg Gaslow bottles I picked up off Facebook market place for less than £100...
Still plenty of test date left...

Another £50 for a fill hose/point

And we never looked back...
Paid for themselves several times over compared to Calor...

There's a few less LPG places around now BUT I doubt it disappearing anytime soon....
Nearest place is yards away from home and 2 full bottles last a good while especially in summer (even more so now I've removed the 3 way fridge and swapped it for a 240v/inverter)

View attachment 61916View attachment 61917
Thanks, that's very neat installation

Our last motorhome we had 2 6kg refillable bottles I used to keep them on manual change over, that way I knew how long had got before needing to fill up.
But the van we have now came with a under slung tank and no where to put bottles, if it had I would go back to bottles,
Interesting thanks. Probably will go for bottles.

I could only fit 2 x 6kg Autogas in my locker - external fill point with automatic switchover, although I tend to turn one bottle off to give me warning when one is empty. The guage is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! My system has been fitted for nearly 10 years now, has paid for itself many times over and I've never had a second's trouble with it. I know the bottles have a shelf life... I'll get round to getting them checked one day, really I will :giggle: 😇😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back