Gaslow systems

Pogety

Free Member

Hi all, I'm thinking of fitting a Gaslow system to a Motorhome that I have on order. I'm told that it can take 11kg and 6kg cyclinders together, I was going to purchase a single 11kg on the basis that with Gaslow I can refill at filling stations where LPG is available. My question is: Is there any benefit in fitting the extra 6kg cyclinder considering I can refill at some fuel stations plus the extra weight is not really wanted. Any points made will be appreciated.

I have 2 Gasit 11kg Bottles in my van. If I was to do it again, I might consider 1 refillable and one Calor/Flogas 11kg or there abouts. Use the refillable and top up regularly. The exchange bottle gives flexibility for occasions when refillable was not readily available, such as N. Scotland or Italy where Autogas is not supposed to be sold for cooking and heating.
I have to say that travelling 100 nights each year in Ireland, France and Spain obtaining Autogas has not been an issue, however there has been a gradual drop in the number of stations selling Autogas. My set up has the two bottles sitting side by side facing the locker door, which would facilitate easy removal, some vans have the 2 bottles behind each other which might not allow one of each type of bottle.

Davy

I have 2 Gasit 11kg Bottles in my van. If I was to do it again, I might consider 1 refillable and one Calor/Flogas 11kg or there abouts. Use the refillable and top up regularly. The exchange bottle gives flexibility for occasions when refillable was not readily available, such as N. Scotland or Italy where Autogas is not supposed to be sold for cooking and heating.
I have to say that travelling 100 nights each year in Ireland, France and Spain obtaining Autogas has not been an issue, however there has been a gradual drop in the number of stations selling Autogas. My set up has the two bottles sitting side by side facing the locker door, which would facilitate easy removal, some vans have the 2 bottles behind each other which might not allow one of each type of bottle.

Davy
I have room for two bottles - one 6Kg and one 11kg fitted side-by-side. When I fitted a Gaslow system, I opted to fit just the one 11Kg Gaslow bottle and have the 2nd position occupied by a Calor Gas 6Kg, just as Davy above has contemplated.
I am not a big gas user but I think this really does give a great flexibility and covers both bases nicely and if I went back in time I would do exactly the same again.
I do also have both plumbed in so if I need to switch from one to the other I can do so easily by turning one bottle off and the other on, so nice and easy as well.

I have room for two bottles - one 6Kg and one 11kg fitted side-by-side. When I fitted a Gaslow system, I opted to fit just the one 11Kg Gaslow bottle and have the 2nd position occupied by a Calor Gas 6Kg, just as Davy above has contemplated.

I am not a big gas user but I think this really does give a great flexibility and covers both bases nicely and if I went back in time I would do exactly the same again.

I do also have both plumbed in so if I need to switch from one to the other I can do so easily by turning one bottle off and the other on, so nice and eI also have the same layout, 3 months in Europe only needed torefill the gasflow tank, the second 6kg wasnt required. Next trip i will leave the 6kg behind.asy as well.

Maybe they will start selling it more places if other manufacturers follow Dacia's lead?

Regards,
Del

Maybe they will start selling it more places if other manufacturers follow Dacia's lead?

Regards,
Del
Sounds like Dacia are around 30 years behind the times?? What is next? Dacia going to add a Turbo to their diesel engine?

I can't imagine many UK buyers buying a new LPG dual-fuel car? (I would have done in the past for sure but not now)

Hi,

I have two Gaslow bottles on my Autotrail Tracker and last summer wished I had the option of 1 Calor. When I ran out of gas I couldn't find anywhere near me in Wiltshire that had Gaslow available, all sold out to LPG car owners. I had to wait a week before I could get a refill.

We have 2 x 11kg refillable bottles on board and I bought an adapter hose from Autogas 2000 at Thirsk when they fitted the system in July 2021, so that we can take our non-refillable bottle with us if we travel to Northern Scotland etc. The rationale was that we are unlikely to stay 'in the wilds' in the UK for long enough to empty 2 x 11kg bottles, but have the 6kg bottle 'just in case' if we do decide to take a long trip in UK.

We do spend 3 months or more in France/Spain and use Free Aires, so Refillable Gas is a godsend [adapter kit bought from Autogas 2000 at date of fitting], and the Flogas 6kg bottle is redundant. 2 x refillable bottles are useful when staying for long'ish periods, especially around a Bank Holiday ['BH']; in Vilafranca del Penedes, the LPG staion [500m from the Aire] was mobbed on the day before the holiday, ran out of lpg over the weekend and the tank refill was delayed after the Bank Holiday ... We had stayed at 2 x remote Aires at altitude for the week prior to the BH and by the time we returned to Vilafranca, the first 11Kg bottle was running on fumes. The 60 seconds switchover to the 2nd bottle avoided the squeaky bum syndrome!

Steve

We have 2 x 11kg refillable bottles on board and I bought an adapter hose from Autogas 2000 at Thirsk when they fitted the system in July 2021, so that we can take our non-refillable bottle with us if we travel to Northern Scotland etc. The rationale was that we are unlikely to stay 'in the wilds' in the UK for long enough to empty 2 x 11kg bottles, but have the 6kg bottle 'just in case' if we do decide to take a long trip in UK.

We do spend 3 months or more in France/Spain and use Free Aires, so Refillable Gas is a godsend [adapter kit bought from Autogas 2000 at date of fitting], and the Flogas 6kg bottle is redundant. 2 x refillable bottles are useful when staying for long'ish periods, especially around a Bank Holiday ['BH']; in Vilafranca del Penedes, the LPG staion [500m from the Aire] was mobbed on the day before the holiday, ran out of lpg over the weekend and the tank refill was delayed after the Bank Holiday ... We had stayed at 2 x remote Aires at altitude for the week prior to the BH and by the time we returned to Vilafranca, the first 11Kg bottle was running on fumes. The 60 seconds switchover to the 2nd bottle avoided the squeaky bum syndrome!

Steve
out of interest, manual switchover, or automatic? (seems to be pros and cons for both options).

Sounds like Dacia are around 30 years behind the times?? What is next? Dacia going to add a Turbo to their diesel engine?

I can't imagine many UK buyers buying a new LPG dual-fuel car? (I would have done in the past for sure but not now)
The reason I looked at them was I saw a young girl fill her Dacia up with LPG while I was filling my and I noticed that the filler was factory fitted ie had a flap on the rear quarter panel like a normal petrol/diesel. Rumour has it that Ford are looking at producing a plug in hybrid car using LPG instead of petrol along with the electric bit 🤔
Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Posted twice by mistake 😲

Regards,
Del

out of interest, manual switchover, or automatic? (seems to be pros and cons for both options).
Manual, David. The fitting appointment was in the 'proceed with care' Covid Recovery phase, and Autogas squeezed us in between customers on our way down to get the Lithium Battery fitted the following day. So their time pressures, my preference for a manual system so that I can't be caught out by the system playing silly buggers, and concern for the well being of my credit card carried the day! 😁 And wandering round to the gas cupboard is part of my '5 steps a day' exercise regime, which might go some way to explaining last Thursday's wee heath problem ...

Steve

Before committing to the expense of fitting gaslow have you thought of reducing your reliance on lpg. I am considering swapping my truma 6 to a truma D6e. This would mean I would only use gas for cooking and fridge when not on hookup. Then 2 6kg bottles would last a while. I have 2 11kg gaslow at the moment. Morrisons in Leyland have a broken lpg pump and I can’t see it being repaired before Morrisons stop lpg sales in 2024. So refillable lpg may not be viable in the foreseeable future.

Looking at the costs quoted for Gaslow installations, mine worked out ok - total cost about £150 for a Gaslow 11Kg Bottle, Filler Kit (plus 70mm Hole Saw), and pipework to have the Gaslow and the Calor bottle connected at the same time.
Bottle was used, but still plenty of life left and even some gas in it :)
I did also add one of these gauges to the Gaslow side with the installation - https://amzn.to/3HyvpEJ - at £16 at the time, which I was pleased with. So much so I bought a 2nd one (at £17) 18 months later for the Calor side (apart from being a gauge, they also work as a push valve for another protection level).

I spent over £50 just on the European Adapters. the hose kit for the Flogas bottle and a CO2 Alarm. The 2 x 11Kg bottles [brand new Gaslow] cost a King's Ransom [Covid Supply Chain issues; no Alugas bottles available], and there were new pipes, gauge and fitting, plus an initial lpg refill. The phone quote I was given was £725, and with the extra bits of kit etc, the final bill scraped in at just under £850

That's the difference between being able to do it yourself and having to pay a professional to install it at a time when the materials prices were sky high. But I had paid £26.75 for the last Flogas 6Kg non refillable bottle and refills had reached about £45 when we had the refillable system fitted. Since then we've spent £99.64 on 141.84 Litres of LPG. Even at a low average price of, say, £25 per 6Kg non refillable bottle, we would have bought at least 24 bottles, so that's a minimum of £600 recouped of a total outlay of ust under £950.

Steve

Something that surprised me on my van was that there was NO refillable system fitted when I bought it. Previous owner used it extensively in Europe and had the Motorhome for 12 years so I would have thought refillable would have paid for itself quite a few times over? Are gas bottles in mainland Europe much cheaper than in UK so cost difference is a lot less between the two?

I spent over £50 just on the European Adapters. the hose kit for the Flogas bottle and a CO2 Alarm. The 2 x 11Kg bottles [brand new Gaslow] cost a King's Ransom [Covid Supply Chain issues; no Alugas bottles available], and there were new pipes, gauge and fitting, plus an initial lpg refill. The phone quote I was given was £725, and with the extra bits of kit etc, the final bill scraped in at just under £850

That's the difference between being able to do it yourself and having to pay a professional to install it at a time when the materials prices were sky high. But I had paid £26.75 for the last Flogas 6Kg non refillable bottle and refills had reached about £45 when we had the refillable system fitted. Since then we've spent £99.64 on 141.84 Litres of LPG. Even at a low average price of, say, £25 per 6Kg non refillable bottle, we would have bought at least 24 bottles, so that's a minimum of £600 recouped of a total outlay of ust under £950.

Steve
Steve, I know you like to get your maths spot on so just a note... You would have bought 14 6kg bottles, not 24 ;) (you have mixed the Litres in the refillable with the Kg in the bottles. 6kg bottle would have 10.86 Litres).
You are still going to break even, but will take you a little longer than you thought :)

Steve, I know you like to get your maths spot on so just a note... You would have bought 14 6kg bottles, not 24 ;) (you have mixed the Litres in the refillable with the Kg in the bottles. 6kg bottle would have 10.86 Litres).
You are still going to break even, but will take you a little longer than you thought :)
Thanks, David! You're spot on; I forgot about the multiplier to convert litres to kilos! My body woke up before my brain did! Could be a long day ... :rolleyes::D On an entirely unrelated matter, the Android 13 Ablemail App for for the ABB07 that failed was updated on 22nd December 2022. I have been having problems since late December with another App that was updated on that date, with my phone showing incomplete and inaccurate information; this too was updated on 22nd December, and when I switched to the laptop last night, I was able to download the correct document with all information present, and also correct for the latter App. Downloade the data to the laptop, sent it to my phone by Bluetooth, and my records are now correct! Not too much fuss ... But I wonder whether there's some clumsy coding in Android itself that has caused problems. The second App is from a major national Provider, so it seems too much of a coincidence that 2 Apps that had worked perfectly before and which were both updated on 22nd December, should both stop working because of App coding problems! I think it was Android 13 in the Library with the Lead Piping in the Coding Cluedo!

I also have 3 email hosts and one of these has problems displaying email messages on the phone. The other 2 work perfectly, first time, every time! There are too many Android Apps failing for it to be a coincidence! And that's ignoring the Google major foul up on Play Books where Gift Card ebook purchases cannot be placed in the Family Library unless you register a separate Credit Card which won't then work because the Card details keep corrupting ... 'To err is human, but to really screw things up, talk to a Google Software Engineer; or the owner of Twitter ...'

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back