Gaslow

JJC

Hi,
I have a 2006 autotrail Dakota with 2 gaslow bottles fitted.
I have 3 questions.
1, the cable inside the cab to release the door is rubbish so can external locks be fitted and do they need to be lockable or can I fit the plastic locks for locking internal cabinets etc.
2, Do you think it's possible to get an external filling point fitted so I don't have to lift the door panel as I know some places can be funny about it.
3, Anyone know of anyone in the Birmingham area that could do these jobs?

Door locks deffo lockable or the Gaslows will walk, should be easy enough to DIY with a jigsaw if you do DIY, fill point just requires the space to do it and two different sizes of hole saw, cheap will do as one hole each.

Not done door locks but it's only a matter of proper measuring and perhaps a small metal plate for the catch to locate on. I forget the actual size of the hole saw blades, but I can go look. if I can locate them.

Thanks Pudsey.
I think I will start searching for external filler kits, door locks and find out the hole size 👍

I prefer to use Gasit and I believe we get a discount from there 5% maybe.

there are different types of filler point depending on where it's being mounted, you may be able to reuse yours but without pictures I'm a bit stuck.

Re Fitting

You could see if Dave Newell out Telford way does Gaslow. He is extremely competent and well thought of in MH circles. I bet if he can't/doesn't do it he may recommend someone who does.

From his posts I think he might be able to DIY it G, it's only the filler that is being moved.

Reactions: GMJ
Hi,
I have 3 questions.
1, the cable inside the cab to release the door is rubbish so can external locks be fitted and do they need to be lockable or can I fit the plastic locks for locking internal cabinets etc.
2, Do you think it's possible to get an external filling point fitted so I don't have to lift the door panel as I know some places can be funny about it.
My fill point is inside the locker.
Never refused in Uk and western europe (several countries) in 10 years ! ..
Most places they do not look or are self service
Once queried but allowed (in Romania).
Our lpg locker is lockable !

Door locks deffo lockable or the Gaslows will walk, should be easy enough to DIY with a jigsaw if you do DIY, fill point just requires the space to do it and two different sizes of hole saw, cheap will do as one hole each.

Not done door locks but it's only a matter of proper measuring and perhaps a small metal plate for the catch to locate on. I forget the actual size of the hole saw blades, but I can go look. if I can locate them.
I've got the holesaw I lent Oppy on W/C if anyone needs to borrow one rather than buy ..
I'm near Manchester

Oh dear, so very sad.

Liz was always complaining she could smell gas after a fill up so I fitted a fan to get it out of the van, but I hated the row it made so I disconnected it.

Yes

I'm an ex tractor fan

Hi,
I have 3 questions.
1. Why is the release cable rubbish? I think it is quite good actually (maybe yours is faulty?). The only flaw I have found is that I have to lift the door up as I pull the cable otherwise the weight of the door will cause the lock to latch again.
I have two extra locks on the locker door (fitted by original owner) that makes the door close more firmly (removes the slight play) which are a handy addition. Mine don't lock but I would think a locking version could be just as easily used? If you DID do away with the internal release, then I would think fitting a locking version externally would be a must.

2. Yes. On my Autotrail I fitted it to the skirt between the gas locker door and the habitation door

3. Don't know.

Photo shows the little turn-locks at the bottom and the filler on the side mounted in the skirt
1673379167856.png

Hole saw size is 70mm. Fairly big. I ended up having to buy one despite having 4 hole saw kits :(

on my auto trail comanche all i did was to buy a 4 inch deck fitting and install it bang in line with fill point easy no interference with gas system all you do is unscrew the waterproof fitting and fill up job sorted

Hi,
<snip>
"Birmingham area" is quite extensive! I've found Edwards Motorhomes at Kempsey (WR5 3PA) very good. 01905 828820.

If Ron Campbell is still at Edwards then yes I'll second that. Probably the nicest and most knowledgeable bloke I have come across in my motorhoming time.

If Ron Campbell is still at Edwards then yes I'll second that. Probably the nicest and most knowledgeable bloke I have come across in my motorhoming time.
Hmph, I'll get you at playtime.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back