General advice

Yes but you've got to make them up, which for me is a pain in the a**e and you need somewhere for the bedding.
No not right, the single beds are there ready just swivel cab chairs around , I make our Double in 45 secs throw on Topping & Sleeping Bags done !!.

Members may not believe this, but it is initially hard for a newbie to find their unique post asking a question, especially if they are not used to how forums generally work. When I first joined, I had issues finding my way around (my issues, not the owner. 😄)

For example, there was a motorbike thread that I liked and watched, and later couldn't find. It turned out that it was because that hugely talented member had changed his user name.

People often ask a forum a question, wait a wee while, and if no-one replies they ask somewhere else. That's the way of things, and all we can do is the best each of us can. 👍

Members may not believe this, but it is initially hard for a newbie to find their unique post asking a question, especially if they are not used to how forums generally work. When I first joined, I had issues finding my way around (my issues, not the owner. 😄)

For example, there was a motorbike thread that I liked and watched, and later couldn't find. It turned out that it was because that hugely talented member had changed his user name.

People often ask a forum a question, wait a wee while, and if no-one replies they ask somewhere else. That's the way of things, and all we can do is the best each of us can. 👍
Yes i find that, for newbies its not so easy to find a post you made or where the thread is.

it can be a costly mistake if you buy the wrong one like we did tried to down size ( big to small ) & didn't work for us we tour for 3 months at a time .so we had a van conversion for 10 months couldn't wait to get rid
Exactly opposite to our experience only didn't lose on the deal as went up in value spent more on the PVC So defiantly a personal choice that no one can make for you Good Luck

Yes i find that, for newbies its not so easy to find a post you made or where the thread is.
Not just newbies, and different forums behave in different ways.

If I go to a new forum and ask a question I leave that page open, as not all forums automatically email you, some require you to tick a box.

Having recently retired I am considering investing around 55k in a Motorhome. I have no experience of motorhomes so hoping for some pointers.
Is a van with a fixed bed a better option than turning the lounge area into a bed every night. Is there a reasonable choice of 4 berth vans which can be driven on a car licence. Is 55k sufficient to get a decent a fairly new motorhome. I have heard that there are a lot of scammers advertising Motorhomes for sale privately, what should I be looking out for?
TIA
If there was one best setup, every motorhome would be designed that way. It's always a compromise, so you have to make your choices, based on your preferences.

At £55k you get a wide range of choices. You could buy something cheap new, something good second hand or something really good but fairly old. Again, it's a choice. There is no one right answer.

Before spending that sort of money, I suggest doing research. Go to a show and sit inside a few designs.

When you have a layout in mind, hire one like that for a week and try it. Yes, that will cost a lot, but it makes any mistakes far cheaper.

I did the above, went to a few shows and seen only one van in 2 years that looked well set out, so home and out came the papaer and pen, 3 mths later work started, dont rush look around, and dont be fooled by dealer talk, ask them if its got lead carbon or litium batteries, solar and refillable gas, they will then go silent and wonder off once they know you are onto them.

Yes, but the advice is good for anyone asking again, maybe even just post a link to this thread so we don't have to go through it all.

Having recently retired I am considering investing around 55k in a Motorhome. I have no experience of motorhomes so hoping for some pointers.
Is a van with a fixed bed a better option than turning the lounge area into a bed every night. Is there a reasonable choice of 4 berth vans which can be driven on a car licence. Is 55k sufficient to get a decent a fairly new motorhome. I have heard that there are a lot of scammers advertising Motorhomes for sale privately, what should I be looking out for?
TIA
Hi,

My advice to you is to spend a good few hours at a dealers that has a lot of different van layouts. You need to imagine living in the van and how you will move around inside it, where you will sit for hours when it rains or of an evening watching the telly, how you'll cook and where you'll store provisions, and also importantly the ease of getting from the bed to the bathroom during the night for all occupants.

There are lots of great MHs available second-hand at or below your price point to choose from.

In terms of driving on a car license, I believe the rule is if you passed your test before 1997 you'll be able to drive pretty much any MH. If you passed in or after 1997 you'll need to look for a MH with a weight of 3,500KG or less.

In terms of scammers you could limit yourself to registered dealers, although some are less reputable than others, this group will give honest feedback of their experience with the dealer once you've found the van you want.

If you do want to buy privately do an online history check, get a mechanical check and if in any doubt a pre-purchase habitation check too. https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/preownedprepurchase

My other piece of advice is once you have bought a van start slow. Do a few day trips to get used to all the features of the van, then progress to a couple of short few nights away before embarking on any long trips. This way you'll learn what extra items you'll need to buy before being 400 miles from home.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your new MH as much as we enjoy ours.

Another outfit that can provide checks is MCEA they have people in most areas.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back