Generators for off grid

The newer one was labeled parker(parker products Louth Lincolnshire) via eBay but both are the open frame red Chinese type both have copper wound alternators .

This IS NOT the video I watched that said about the power drop, if I can find it I will post it but not even certain the guy was Canadian. This one is a guy using a Honda genny in the U.K. on gas though, about 6 minutes in he states it is cheaper to run on petrol than gas per Kw produced. The video is 6 years old though so prices will be significantly different now and he is running on exchange bottles not lpg

Honda EU20i on gas
It depends on how much the petrol costs and how much the lpg costs.

Round here, a litre of lpg costs £0.80. That's 10.88p per KWh.

A litre of petrol costs £1.40. That's 14.73p per KWh

If you are buying a generator to use more than once in a blue moon, the only sensible choice is between Honda or Honda.

If you want to use a generator at a rally or other crowded place, you need a very quiet one, which means Honda or Honda. Inverter generators are quieter at low load, but not at high load.

LPG generators are safer because carrying and refilling stinky, flammable, carcinogenic petrol on site is not a good idea.
I have one in my garage and its a peace of sh one t, never went right from day one, hence i required it from a chap i knew who gave up on it.

I have one in my garage and its a peace of sh one t, never went right from day one, hence i required it from a chap i knew who gave up on it.
I've had this lpg generator for thirteen years now. It has never given a moment's trouble, though in early 2020 I replaced the rusting cabinet it lives in (new models are stainless steel, but this wasn't), and I replaced the flexible gas supply pipe, because I deemed it too old.

I've had this lpg generator for thirteen years now. It has never given a moment's trouble, though in early 2020 I replaced the rusting cabinet it lives in (new models are stainless steel, but this wasn't), and I replaced the flexible gas supply pipe, because I deemed it too old.
Time i hocked it out and had a look at it, no use for it mind you.

I'm not convinced.

I used to have an lpg car, and there was no difference in power between running on petrol or lpg.

Yes, the calorific value of lpg is lower than petrol, so the miles per litre was lower, but the price per litre was much lower to more than compensate.

My built-in generator runs on lpg from the bulk tank. It supposedly uses 310g of lpg per hour when giving 2000 watts of mains output.

That's less than half the price of mains electricity - though it wouldn't be such a good deal running on bottled lpg.

However, I dislike generators, so I rarely use it.
A bit late with this but I just happened across the info so thought I would post for anyone considering dual fuel.

It states on this generator that it can provide 1800W continuous on petrol but only 1600W continuous on lpg. Presumably you could improve a little by running butane but no idea how much.

This isn’t saying don’t go dual fuel, it’s a handy thing to have, just make sure the continuous output on lpg is enough for your needs.

EcoFlow dual fuel generator

My generator is rated 2500W peak, 2000W continuous, but it is on a circuit with a 10A breaker, which trips if you run more than any two of aircon, microwave and kettle at the same time.

On hookup or generator is the same, so it appears that the generator isn't the limiting factor.

Things aren’t always what you think. Before I bought my two x Victron 30A mains chargers I emailed Victron sending them the spec of my HY1000 asking if it would run the two chargers. They emailed back to say yes it was okay but I could never run both chargers unless I set them for night mode (15A each). This is why I eventually bought the 2Kw continuous I have now, the smaller one was much better for me weight and size wise but meant I had to run longer than needed.

My brain doesn’t work on detail stuff these days which is why I always ask someone who does lol

Things aren’t always what you think. Before I bought my two x Victron 30A mains chargers I emailed Victron sending them the spec of my HY1000 asking if it would run the two chargers. They emailed back to say yes it was okay but I could never run both chargers unless I set them for night mode (15A each).
30A x 2 at 14v is 840 watts. Ought to be well within the capabilites of a 1000 watt generator, particularly as 30A chargers don't deliver 30A for long.

30A x 2 at 14v is 840 watts. Ought to be well within the capabilites of a 1000 watt generator, particularly as 30A chargers don't deliver 30A for long.
But it wouldn’t run them both at 30A. It was 900W continuous but on paper should still have done it

But it wouldn’t run them both at 30A. It was 900W continuous but on paper should still have done it
It OUGHT to be able to run them both at once.

30A at 14v is only 420 watts

It should run two at once quite easily, even if they were both putting out their full rated power.

A battery charger only puts out full rated power for a short while. As the battery charges, the current drops.

Having said that, I can't see why you need to charge batteries so fast in the first place.

It OUGHT to be able to run them both at once.

30A at 14v is only 420 watts

It should run two at once quite easily, even if they were both putting out their full rated power.

A battery charger only puts out full rated power for a short while. As the battery charges, the current drops.

Having said that, I can't see why you need to charge batteries so fast in the first place.
My reasoning for running two chargers was I wouldn’t have to run the generator as long. I never start it and leave it, I wait with it and shut down and put away when I have done. If solar is poor or nil I need to put 120ah back into my battery’s every 48 hours, probably a bit more so it’s a couple of hours running or 4 hours plus.

I know it SHOULD have been capable but it wasn’t and I had already bought both chargers. Had I known it wasn’t going to manage I would have bought either a 40a charger, or more likely, 2 x 20a chargers. Pricess seem to jump a lot once you look over 30a. Then again if I were starting again I would probably be looking either 24V or 48V systems lol

I spend a lot of time at race meetings and generators are the Bane of our lives, at Oulton Park this year some hammerhead was running his genny to heat his water tank, couldn’t get him to understand gas would be better, biggest issue was he had one of these cheap rubbish units and you couldn’t hear yourself think.

After about 45mins it coughed, spluttered and died. He spent about an hour trying to coax it back to life, meanwhile his lpg tank quietly and efficiently sorted his hot water.

I carry a Honda generator, but other than running it up for maintenance it’s not been used for years.

One of my Honda’s will be travelling with me at the end of the month when I head to the far north of Scotland. Will leave the solar panels at home as cannot rely on them from now until the spring.

One of my Honda’s will be travelling with me at the end of the month when I head to the far north of Scotland. Will leave the solar panels at home as cannot rely on them from now until the spring.
I rely a lot on the Solar Panels in the Winter in Scotland :oops:

They help dull the noise of the rain on the roof :)

We have a 800w petrol generator but it is not enough. We are looking at a

ELECTRIC START PETROL GENERATOR 3.75KVA 8HP G7000W-E WITH OPTIONAL ATS​

This gives us the power with no more noise than the one we have. We have an option to get this in a dual fuel option petrol or lpg but costs another £150 on top.

Can anyone give advice we do need a minimum of 2kw constant running for off grid at noisy rallies. Thankyou.
If I can tell you my set up? EcoFlow is a brilliant company that sells everything one could ever want in a campervan. I won't bore you with all my kit but I can say I am experienced in generators and using them with a campervan.
I've had various gennies over the decades but here is my best set up yet.....
EcoFlow petrol auto start/stop ( they do a dual fuel but I decided against this option as I'm trying to phase out expensive gas bottles. Petrol is cheaper from the forecourt). Connected directly to my EcoFlow power station they talk to each other and the genie can be programmed/ operated from the phone app . The settings are adaptable to any requirements whatsoever ( timed on/ off, battery percentage on/off etc. etc). It can supply 230v pure sine wave and 48v charging my power station ( 48v is the most economical voltage for charging.)
I'm very happy with this generator. It's very quiet but quite big as suitcase generators go. EcoFlow is a market leader, they have just brought out their 3rd generation of units ( I have 2nd generation) so I expect a fair few people will be buying new and selling their 2nd gen stuff on eBay etc.
I am not affiliated with EcoFlow in any way, just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps.

If I can tell you my set up? EcoFlow is a brilliant company that sells everything one could ever want in a campervan. I won't bore you with all my kit but I can say I am experienced in generators and using them with a campervan.
I've had various gennies over the decades but here is my best set up yet.....
EcoFlow petrol auto start/stop ( they do a dual fuel but I decided against this option as I'm trying to phase out expensive gas bottles. Petrol is cheaper from the forecourt). Connected directly to my EcoFlow power station they talk to each other and the genie can be programmed/ operated from the phone app . The settings are adaptable to any requirements whatsoever ( timed on/ off, battery percentage on/off etc. etc). It can supply 230v pure sine wave and 48v charging my power station ( 48v is the most economical voltage for charging.)
I'm very happy with this generator. It's very quiet but quite big as suitcase generators go. EcoFlow is a market leader, they have just brought out their 3rd generation of units ( I have 2nd generation) so I expect a fair few people will be buying new and selling their 2nd gen stuff on eBay etc.
I am not affiliated with EcoFlow in any way, just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps.
The eco flow is not enough power output for OP. It gives 1800W continuous on petrol and 1600W continuous on lpg

Back