Good Places to Visit

2cv

Only a few months from now the attractions and places to visit will be opening for the Summer. Just looking for tips about your favourite places to visit.
I’ll kick off by recommending The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden near Biggleswade. Apart from the amazing collection the Swiss Garden is beautiful. They also open up for camping on the weekends of airshows, an excellent place to stay.

North York Moors Railway, great for grandchildren and grandads. I visit with the grandson 3/4 times a year and get 1/2 price fares as a member. Membership is £29.00 a year for an adult.
Beamish Museum.

Being a northerner I love visiting all things Southernish places like Southend on sea fab place to visit and a train ride out on there mile long pier where Jamie Oliver and his mate Jimmy film there cookery program another is the recently discovered Canvey Island and there 17 miles of sea defence where you can walk or cycle all the way along and see the very artistic historical murals another place I love to visit is Brighton I love shopping in the north lanes it’s like a whole Bohemium emporium and not forgetting my most favourite campsite probably the only one I use regularly The Warren in Folkstone where you can sit on an evening looking out to sea with a glass of something nice watching the lights of France twinkling in the distance and the walk along the newly installed beach walkway and harbour restaurant just fab.Ok i had better stop now as I could go on all day about the beautiful south coast of England.

Last edited:
Houston Renfrewshire lovely wee town on the banks of the river Gryffe. Fantastic chipper Paul’s and a couple of cracking pubs in the village my favourite being the fox and hounds. In fact wee should organise a meet there.

Houston Renfrewshire lovely wee town on the banks of the river Gryffe. Fantastic chipper Paul’s and a couple of cracking pubs in the village my favourite being the fox and hounds. In fact wee should organise a meet there.
Thanks for that one Wully.
Might be an idea to pop in on the way up or coming back down from Orkney.

Bakelite museum, Wiltshire (ish)
Bubble Car museum, Lincolnshire (ish)

Reactions: 2cv
We enjoyed our visit to Saltaire Mill, did not know what to expect and were impressed with the scale of the mill and the story behind it and the story about how it was saved and restored. On one floor there is the world's largest permanent collection of work by Bradford-born artist, David Hockney. We need to go back as we spent the whole day in the mill and did not get to see the village.
Location: just north of Bradford https://saltairevillage.info/

We enjoyed our visit to Saltaire Mill, did not know what to expect and were impressed with the scale of the mill and the story behind it and the story about how it was saved and restored. On one floor there is the world's largest permanent collection of work by Bradford-born artist, David Hockney. We need to go back as we spent the whole day in the mill and did not get to see the village.
Location: just north of Bradford https://saltairevillage.info/
Saltaire is a world heritage site, my very first pub I had there ! When the mill was running originally Sir Titus Salt ,,,,was strict tee total and wouldn’t allow a pub in the village ...today there is a bar called “Don’t tell Titus” so now you know how it got it’s name.should you visit.

For those who like craft ales and ciders there is another unusual bar called Fanny’s ale and cider house ,,,the pub a terraced house with all its rooms ....if you want good real ales in an unusual setting it is a must Marcus the owner, was one of the first doing craft ales before it became popular and I would say one of the best in the country.

some great walks on the canal, the Aagrah restaurant in Shipley ,an award winning Indian restaurant,headed by Mohammed Aslam while a chain of a few eateries Shipley the original and head office so a bit special. The food really isn’t Indian but Kashmiri so a lot of mogul dishes and very interesting how they started. If Indian is not your thing a trip down Bingley Road ther are other offerings notably la Rue and the terrace bar and bistro ran by a french chap called Eric ...egg florentine or benedict on the brekkie menu ..very bohemian area plenty of crafts to see, check out festival weekends....skipton haworth not far away bronte country ,,,museum of media in Bradford

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back