Google asking me to do something illegal

Pudsey Bear

I use Google maps most of the time as it just does the job really well, and has traffic updates.

But for a few months now it has been asking me to tap the screen to opt out of a faster route, in the van I opt out of ferries and motorways etc on the screen below.

It's a bit annoying, awkward and of course not allowed in the UK.

Does anyone know how to stop it from doing that as I think if ignored it will put you onto its preferred route I have tried seeing if it voice activated but it doesn't work.

1688216591500.png

What is the illegal bit? I really have no idea what you are meaning.

Using and holding a phone or satnav is illegal when driving, touching such a device when in a windscreen or dashboard mount is not illegal.
I sit corrected, I read the rules wrongly mea culpa.

I use the screen you displayed to opt out of some routes prior to setting off however coming down south last week Google told me to tap screen if I wanted to stay on chosen route. I didn't tap screen as not able and it sent me down another road to avoid congestion. Fine to start with as I know and like the first road but it soon me down very narrow B roads which took forever because of pulling over.

Thanks for that bit of info, I assumed it would do something like that, but chose to tap it and stay on the route I'd picked out.

Touching a phone even if being used as a sat nav while driving is illegal David.
I thought you meant it was illegal to go on a less fuel-efficient route!?!

you could be using Google maps on a dash unit using android auto. That is much nicer (Garmin is even nicer though :) )

Nah, I could go double DIN etc but the phone works fine and I always carry a loaded up spare smartphone.

I use the screen you displayed to opt out of some routes prior to setting off however coming down south last week Google told me to tap screen if I wanted to stay on chosen route. I didn't tap screen as not able and it sent me down another road to avoid congestion. Fine to start with as I know and like the first road but it soon me down very narrow B roads which took forever because of pulling over.
Google Maps can be a Nightmare around Cornwall in a Motorhome as we have found out , it tends to take you down some really dodgy roads around Coastal Areas . 😕.Some Touring Sites do say ignore Sat Nav on approach.

Thank you, same here, find it annoying that do nothing is agreement for change. Better the other way around if possible to change preference

Anyone tried to speak to Google, don't bother...

Google maps and to a lesser degree Waze are rapidly becoming a dangerous liability!

The country lane routing is almost becoming its default behaviour

Yesterday even though I specifically selected the route along the A20 via the roadworks just to see what it would do, the stupid thing decided to take me down multiple single track lanes via Sutton valence to get to Bearsted from Pluckley.

The stupid thing often re routes without warning as well sending you off on a tangent.

I am sure there’s some evil google AI listening in the cab to the stress levels rising and having a good laugh.

I also think we aren’t too far away from the point it will drive me over a precipice given the chance just for kicks!

Google maps and to a lesser degree Waze are rapidly becoming a dangerous liability!

The country lane routing is almost becoming its default behaviour

Yesterday even though I specifically selected the route along the A20 via the roadworks just to see what it would do, the stupid thing decided to take me down multiple single track lanes via Sutton valence to get to Bearsted from Pluckley.

The stupid thing often re routes without warning as well sending you off on a tangent.

I am sure there’s some evil google AI listening in the cab to the stress levels rising and having a good laugh.

I also think we aren’t too far away from the point it will drive me over a precipice given the chance just for kicks!
Not knowing the area and with my current settings, I looked at the suggested route on my phone.
1688457048356.jpeg

My settings
1688457118276.jpeg

Yep and that first section would probably take you via Egerton to Lenham Heath or even Platts Heath very narrow single track all the way, I used to live in Platts heath.

Yesterday it even offered to go via headcorn initially all because of a few minutes delay at the road works.

I need to buy an app that accepts vehicle size and length, I simply do not trust google derived routing anymore it puts you at risk of encountering far too many people in cars seemingly incapable of reversing even a few feet without veering all over the place up the banks down ditches etc.

Yesterday I probably reversed half a mile on one occasion because I encountered one of these incompetent steering wheel flailers!

Nah, my fave type of road, I have once or twice reversed someone else's car when they were almost so inept they didn't know where the reverse was as they had never needed to use it, WTF are they doing on single track roads.

I always give people plenty of room to reverse back without them panicking and I expect the same courtesy in return some people unfortunately are so pig ignorant and in a rush they are almost pushing us backwards.

This poor guy at the beginning of my video below did everything right except for unexpectedly having another go and losing his offside rear wheel over the edge

One 5 ton ratchet strap to the rescue.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back