GPS Rollover week 6th April

Interesting! Garmin say that GPS positioning accuracy won't be affected, so navigation itself will still be as before the rollover :unsure:

Tom tom do claim that without an update the satnav will not work at all.
Interesting! Garmin say that GPS positioning accuracy won't be affected, so navigation itself will still be as before the rollover :unsure:
There are three issues that 'might' happen
Tomtom said:
Without updating, these devices may experience some of the following issues:
Tomtom said:
  1. No time
  2. Frequent loss of GPS fix
  3. No GPS fix at all - navigation impossible

Maggy has a tomtom one xxl which will have the following issue

Tomtom said:
Your satnav’s status
Tomtom said:
After 6 April 2019, your satnav will continue to navigate, but it will not show the correct time and the estimated time of arrival.

I have a few which will not be affected but my old go730 when I checked it says

Tomtom said:
Your satnav’s status
Tomtom said:
After 6 April 2019, your satnav will not be able to navigate. Fortunately, this is easily fixed with an update we have ready for you below.

If you put your serial number in here it will tell you how yours will be affected
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

Confusing eh? I guess we just have to follow the advice of the brand we've got... which in Garmin's case is just that most devices won't have a problem. Yes, it's important to update, which I do, about once a month usually.

I do have a seriously ancient TomTom One from 2005 stuck in a cupboard somewhere, which I have no doubt won't work any more! :LOL:

This thread reads like a April 1 st wind up surely they'd have known this was to happen before now and corrected it in past updates

Yes they've known since 21st August 1999, when the first rollover was triggered... but this one will still happen because the system software allows for just 1024 weeks to be counted off. It won't cause any major dramas I doubt, other than for really old devices, because all they have to do is reset the programming with the right date and time for the beginning of the next 1024 weeks.

I know the news about this is more visible now but I remember reading about it a few months ago. I've just never been sure - still not really - if it will make any difference to update before 6th April or not. I have updated three months in a row since I read about the issue but there's no way to tell if that's fixed something that's not supposed to happen for another few weeks, if you see what I mean! I get the impression from reading about it that the 1024 week programming is also part of the satellites that GPS uses. Hmmm, I wonder if someone's going to fly up there with the fix on a memory stick :unsure:;)

I updated my garmin this afternoon, and also my old tomtom which we use in the States. I’ll have to wait until October to see if it works.

I updated my garmin this afternoon, and also my old tomtom which we use in the States. I’ll have to wait until October to see if it works.
In order to be sure that my unit would continue to work OK after the week number rollover (when I will be in Europe), I submitted a support request, detailing my unit model and serial number. Garmin Europe responded with a link to their web page with generic information (as referenced above and from which I had quoted in my query) - not exactly helpful!
A telephone conversation with them has elicited the information that units affected by the week number rollover are the Dashcam 20 and Dashcam 30, so hopefully all navigation devices will be OK.

iPad doesn’t have gps was hoping to tether to phone but that doesn’t work anyway for some reason the tethering doesn’t take gps across with it?
My mate has one of these for his ipad.

Regards,
Del

I've just checked our Tom Tom via the link and we will have no issues (y) but if we don't arrive at Whitwell & Reepham........they lied :(

Fit an android unit and download Sygic offline maps then no issues at all :) Wonder how many fixed vehicle GPS systems will deal with it. My car one is Navteq/HERE system and apparently will have no effect.

No it's definitely a real issue Phil but would only result in the date and time being wrong on the device, so arrival times would be skewed... no major catastrophe really. GPS devices have a weekly rollover for up to 1024 weeks, then they'll 'reset' themselves to week 0 but that means they're working on the calendar as from 21st August 1999, which is the last time there was a rollover. Apparently the date when the problem shows itself could vary, depending on how manufacturers programmed their devices in the first place, ie the date when the previous 2014 week rollover began for that individual device. All very confusing but I won't lose any sleep over it to be honest... as long as it guides me to the right place.

Hope this helps Jennie https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=zWQY6Z2kFiAuY9kDnDBgZ6

I may have posted this before.....
when i got my new truck tom tom my old go500 decided it was old and no good so I emailed tom tom and thier advice was to reset the device and it will start updating again (except speed cameras) i had to pay for those. i had a sd card in it so i took it out did what they said and the map would not fit ???? apparently the maps are much larger so i put the card back in and it installed the up to date map onto the sd card and it's still updating :)

I believe that Dashcam 20 and Dashcam 30 are affected.
Yes, that's what I posted above after eventually forcing some detailed info out of them by email and telephone. Why they couldn't just post the info for all to see (and for most to be fully reassured) is beyond me.

I am just updating our TomTom now and as we have such slow wifi its telling me it will take 6 hours and 26mins to update
fainting.gif

That's way past my bedtime...
hehe.gif

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back