GPS Rollover week 6th April

Paulmold

You may be aware already but if not, your GPS gadgets could be affected. TomTom explain it here...

What is the GPS Week Number Rollover?
The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions.

What does this mean for you? It’s time to check your satnav. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

I did mine and the update went according to plan and was very quick. All Bentleys have Tomtom Carminat as standard, it was posted on the Bentley Motorhomes Club fb page.

I`ve an old TomTom GO 720T that`s just used every now and then in the car which updated fine.

All mine updated apart from a tomtom one xxl and an old Go740 with truck software and maps on, both will still work but will not be able to give a time of arrival, I only use them as back ups so no problem

This is Garmin's take on it. They have announced that all of their Aviation devices will continue to work normally after April 06th 2018, which is nice to know if you happen to be flying your own plane lol

Regards,
Del

Should have checked the above link before posting :unsure: i shall go and stand in the dunces corner immediately :(

Last edited:
I think something similar happens regarding miscommunication to 'er indoors' but much more frequently. When I transmit but she doesn't seem to be able to receive although her transmissions do lengthen considerably...

This is Garmin's take on it. They have announced that all of their Aviation devices will continue to work normally after April 06th 2018, which is nice to know if you happen to be flying your own plane lol

Regards,
Del
Well, they should know, they've had 11 months since April 06th 2018 to make absolutely sure. ;)

This is in Garmin's website.....

Is My Device Affected?
For many years, Garmin has anticipated and prepared for this event. Regardless, Garmin has been performing exhaustive testing of current and legacy devices to determine if they will be affected by the GPS week number rollover. Our testing shows the vast majority of Garmin GPS devices will handle the WNRO without issues.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhh
Bloody technology
It says to tom Tom is to old to update and will stop working on 6th April
Click here to download new maps onto your sd card so I did this

And now all the pois and gas points and everything I found useful have been replaced with 3D imaging and no pois
Well that’s a load of shit
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh

• Sad
Reactions: Rec
I've been searching but can't find out if you can update before 6th April to fix the issue or if you have to wait until 6th April itself?
Might be a daft question but I'm heading to Europe on that very day and don't want to get caught out once I've left my lovely fibre broadband behind! :eek: Both mine are Garmins by the way.

I've been searching but can't find out if you can update before 6th April to fix the issue or if you have to wait until 6th April itself?
Might be a daft question but I'm heading to Europe on that very day and don't want to get caught out once I've left my lovely fibre broadband behind! :eek: Both mine are Garmins by the way.

Garmin claim that most of theirs will continue to work, probably worth doing the latest updates though. For my Carminat tomtom they sent an e mail and I have already done the update.

Was yours a normal software and map update Bill? I can't find any links to a specific firmware or BIOS update.

Mine was an update done via tom tom home. I’ve also got a garmin and plan to update that normally before 6th April, though they do claim that it will continue to work anyway.
This is the notice I got from tomtom

6399DA45-8EB8-450C-9230-A9A71EA0EE71.png

If you have registered on Garmin simply plug in your Sat Nav and it will tell you if you have updates available. I did and it updated in a couple of minutes. That doesn't include map updates but it will tell you if map updates are available and whether you can update for free if you have lifetime updates or whether you have to pay (like mine but I'm not paying £79 for my camper version to be updated).

I did all the available updates the other day on both my satnavs - I've got lifetime on both. Just not sure if that included the fix for the rollover issue... it didn't say so. I'll just assume all is well and likely update again just before I leave... then I'll keep my fingers crossed. At least it doesn't affect navigation, so I expect I'll find my way home from Europeland OK :ROFLMAO:

It' the Millenium Bug (supposed) again..
Remember that Chaos was predicted on Jan 00 @00:01
Airplane would fall out of the sky etc etc
I suspect all will be well update or no update BUT I do not know

No it's definitely a real issue Phil but would only result in the date and time being wrong on the device, so arrival times would be skewed... no major catastrophe really. GPS devices have a weekly rollover for up to 1024 weeks, then they'll 'reset' themselves to week 0 but that means they're working on the calendar as from 21st August 1999, which is the last time there was a rollover. Apparently the date when the problem shows itself could vary, depending on how manufacturers programmed their devices in the first place, ie the date when the previous 2014 week rollover began for that individual device. All very confusing but I won't lose any sleep over it to be honest... as long as it guides me to the right place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back