Grey waste outlet

GeoffL

My van has a 'continental' style grey waste dump: a slide valve with a large (about 2") diameter vertical pipe. This is designed to be used with drive-over gratings like are seen at many French aires. The vertical pipe has taken a knock -- probably a speed bump that was too high -- and the boss into which it was fixed is broken (see piccy). My thoughts are to remove the waste up and slide valve and replace with the more usual UK-style tap at the side of the van, but I can't find the necessary fittings and so would be grateful for some pointers.
I've sourced some 2mm ABS and so could use a disc of that 'Sikaflexed' (251?) and screwed to the bottom of the tank and fit the necessary fittings to that? TIA, Geoff

20220503_151330.jpghts

You may need a bulkhead fitting which has a large flange nut both sides and rubber washer with either a male or female end to take your chosen bend / valve.

Bss would be your best bet for commercial pipe fittings you could bolt a 2” flange onto the tank with a gasket then you would have a thread thread a m and female elbow into the flange then convert to abs and fit the valve on at the side of the van hope this might help

Have you tried CAK tanks at Kenilworth. Give them a call and see if they have suggestions.

Remember the UK-style pipe and tap at the side of the van is much more prone to freezing. The continental style outlets are usually part of the winterisation.

Thanks all for the help -- it's much appreciated.
Have you looked at John Guest fittings? Or check out ABS fittings https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25374992...TTYNRZBQU6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Thanks for that. I didn't know that John Guest fittings existed until your post. JG looks my best option IMO.
Have you tried CAK tanks at Kenilworth. Give them a call and see if they have suggestions.
When I spoke to a local caravan/motorhome workshop they said they wouldn't repair the existing tank and suggested I bought a new one from CAK Tanks, which they would fit. However, at over £100 + delivery + workshop charges, I thought repair a better option.
Remember the UK-style pipe and tap at the side of the van is much more prone to freezing. The continental style outlets are usually part of the winterisation.
The tank is underslung and unheated, so the van's not been winterised. TBH, I'm fed up with having to crawl under the van to place a bowl under the outlet to empty the waste tank one small bowlful at a time. While continental dump pipes make complete sense for drive-over waste grids, they're a PIA IMO almost everywhere I've camped in UK. So it makes sense to me to convert to a UK-style outlet.

Thanks all for the help -- it's much appreciated.

Thanks for that. I didn't know that John Guest fittings existed until your post. JG looks my best option IMO.

When I spoke to a local caravan/motorhome workshop they said they wouldn't repair the existing tank and suggested I bought a new one from CAK Tanks, which they would fit. However, at over £100 + delivery + workshop charges, I thought repair a better option.

The tank is underslung and unheated, so the van's not been winterised. TBH, I'm fed up with having to crawl under the van to place a bowl under the outlet to empty the waste tank one small bowlful at a time. While continental dump pipes make complete sense for drive-over waste grids, they're a PIA IMO almost everywhere I've camped in UK. So it makes sense to me to convert to a UK-style outlet.
What you say makes sense. Both our European motorhomes have had side drain off pipes, with just the valve inboard where it won‘t freeze leaving the pipe self draining. Draining from the middle does sound a complete pain. On our recent trip we used 3 sites, 2 of which asked us to drain the grey water into the hedges. Having a screw fitting on the end of the pipe meant we could connect up an extension pipe, open the valve and water the hedges as requested.

What I'd do is remove the centre drain completely and cover with a patch but before fitting the patch I'd fitt one like this in the side of the tank nr the bottom then fitt a pipe out to a tap at the side of the van.

What I'd do is remove the centre drain completely and cover with a patch but before fitting the patch I'd fitt one like this in the side of the tank nr the bottom then fitt a pipe out to a tap at the side of the van.
Thanks. I've already committed to John Guest fittings. The existing fitting and boss is being replaced with a 2mm ABS disc fitted with a 22mm JG tank connector and then a couple of 22mm elbows and some pipe leading to the side of the van, then a 22mm stop valve.
cm0715s.webp

I'd be wary of anything coming down out the bottom of the tank getting hit
again why I suggested fitting new outlet in the side

I'd be wary of anything coming down out the bottom of the tank getting hit
again why I suggested fitting new outlet in the side
Thanks for the suggestion. AFAICT, this is the first time in over 20 years that the old arrangement has grounded and the new arrangement will still give me at least 2" additional ground clearance compared with the current one. Putting the drain in the bottom should ensure I can drain the tank more fully than I could with a side-mounted connector.

A wee tip when assembling, give all cut tube a good chamfer which stops a sharp edge removing the glue when pushing home, use solvent to clean all parts, don't dry assemble after cleaning as they will bond the solvent softens the surface of the abs. Apply a good amount of glue to all faces, when you assemble run your finger around the joint giving an extra seal. WARNING take care when assembling the valve, depending on which one you purchase the valve may have a flange either side which can be screwed off if so do so and assemble cleaning away excess glue. This will save on you gluing the valve in either the open or closed position.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back