Hab checks

andromeda

I know this has been discussed before so apologies.
How much would you pay for a hab check if like me you don't trust your own knowledge?
This morning I have been given quotes of £359 and £150. From experience I bet they both do the same checks.

Unless it's needed for the warranty save your money you can buy a damp meter, you can see if anything works or not, if it needs a service just get the service done on the things which need it.

I've bought vans with recent hab checks, then found things which either didn't work or were actually broken.

I have zero faith in them.

The damp check is worthwhile !
But a decent damp meter maybe £50 SO
Diy amd repeat every 6 months.
£150 MAX
It is a check only so no repairs includes as wotj Mot only at £40
For gas call a suitable mobile person or go to a local moho garage..
Does anyone check and service the TRUMA water and air heating..probably not.
Biggest failure likely to be be the gas regulator..keep a spare !

Last edited:
Waste of money if out of warranty.
But that's just my opinion, fast as things pack up I repair and replace. Run round with damp meter every 6/12months .
Clean fridge burner once year check oven for blue flames fitted new jets and thermo cups.
We still under dealer warranty but have deside my repairs better than there's..

£150 MAX
My son checks & services the Truma parts mentioned when he's carrying out a habitation for customers.

Waste of money if out of warranty.
But that's just my opinion, fast as things pack up I repair and replace. Run round with damp meter every 6/12months .
Clean fridge burner once year check oven for blue flames fitted new jets and thermo cups.
We still under dealer warranty but have deside my repairs better than there's..
I can only do damp checks

I can only do damp checks
You can also check to flames are blue on the hob, grill and oven, that the fridge lights on gas, that it works on EHU, the the toilet flushes and doesn't leak, you ca n check the water heater works, and the blown air heater or fire lights quickly and gives heat, you can check if your leisure and starter batteries are charging, you can check for gas leaks with a spray can of detector fluid.

Unless it’s a new to you van or someone is new to motorhomes wouldn’t you know if anything is wrong from using it? The exception I suppose being damp depending on construction but that has already been covered

Takes an hour. All they do is look for things they can charge you to fix. If you keep up with the general bits and pieces of repairs as you go along you might as well put the money in the bank for when something needs fixing. IMO I think they are a total waste of money. Only available in the UK. Our European neighbours are not daft. They were dreamt up by the caravan dealers as a way of making some extra money. One of the reasons you cannot get anything fixed. They are to busy charging £350 for an hours work.

I know this has been discussed before so apologies.
How much would you pay for a hab check if like me you don't trust your own knowledge?
This morning I have been given quotes of £359 and £150. From experience I bet they both do the same checks.

I just paid £200 including the VAT for ours at a main Autotrail dealer.

For new owners or new to them vans it still applies to a certain extent, if it works you still don't need to pay to get someone to tell you it works only to fix things which don't work.

Most important is gas check
Then damp check
Least hab check , if they find a fault they may fix at extra cost
I use a mobile checker gas and damp only

No smell of gas, owner unaware, picked up by my manometer in seconds
View attachment 66476
Not surprised, who the hell put that together, doesn't look like a genuine joint anyway squashed pipe and a broken gland nut, it looks like leak spray in the background too, so the tech must have been blind.

£150 MAX
A damp meter costs less than £20. Paying more gets you nothing extra. Agreed about two checks a year being a good idea.

Hopefully nobody does service their Truma heater. The chief Truma engineer in the UK told me in person that they require no servicing each year, though cleaning the fan blades every few years is a good idea. He didn't think any checks were needed either: said its own self checks were sufficient.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back