Habitation Check, or not??

Pinchcliff

Free Member

Hi, I'm new to motor homing and plan to buy one in August when I retire, I'm viewing one this weekend and discussed the issue of hab checks with him. He stated that as the van is old (2005 Burstner) he doesn't bother with a hab check? Any thoughts?

We've camped in caravans and campers for around 30 years.

Everyone has their own view on habitation checks, and it's not surprising considering the ability of the owner, variety of vans available, and varying build qualities.

For instance, I didn't bother with HabChecks on our last 2005 van because I knew every part of it backwards, and if anything needed fixing, I wanted it done immediately...... By me. If I didn't understand how a specific item worked, I took it to someone I trusted. Because I looked after it, it didn't have s trace of damp in the woodwork when we sold it.

Three years ago, we downsized and bought a new PVC. They are not affected by damp, but to maintain the warranty we currently pay for an annual habitation check. When the warranty expires, I'll think again.

It's an emotional subject, and others will hold different views.

The hab check is not just about damp tests, a thorough check will include the gas supply for safety and the water system for leaks. Not having one done for years doesn't mean the van is free from faults. At the very least I'd want a gas safety check done before parting with cash.

I wouldn't buy a van without a pre-sale hab check, including a gas integrity check, especially in your circumstances as a newbie.
In fact I would be suspicious ìf the seller is claiming it doesn't need one.

As can be seen, from studying the list, the majority of the checks, are so easy to carry out, yourself. It looks comprehensive, but is so easy to do.
The gas checks are probably the most difficult, but, remember that LPG, has a built in pungent smell. This is for safety, and makes it quite obvious, if there is a leak.
As a long time motorhomer, I've never had a professional Hab Check carried out, and consider them a waste of money. They didn't even exist, around 20 yrs ago, and, IMO, were just another way to make money.
It always amuses me, when people say that it gives them peace of mind. How do they know if the checks have been carried out correctly, or even at all.
From a practical point of view, during regular use, of your van, you will be carrying out most of these checks, anyway. It will become obvious, if there are any problems.

As can be seen, from studying the list, the majority of the checks, are so easy to carry out, yourself. It looks comprehensive, but is so easy to do.
The gas checks are probably the most difficult, but, remember that LPG, has a built in pungent smell. This is for safety, and makes it quite obvious, if there is a leak.
As a long time motorhomer, I've never had a professional Hab Check carried out, and consider them a waste of money. They didn't even exist, around 20 yrs ago, and, IMO, were just another way to make money.
It always amuses me, when people say that it gives them peace of mind. How do they know if the checks have been carried out correctly, or even at all.
From a practical point of view, during regular use, of your van, you will be carrying out most of these checks, anyway. It will become obvious, if there are any problems.
If the OP is a newbie buying privately with no warranty,I think a "wait and see" policy is a bit iffy, I wouldn't buy a car on that basis.

If the OP is a newbie buying privately with no warranty,I think a "wait and see" policy is a bit iffy, I wouldn't buy a car on that basis.
Think you are correct
Slightly off topic , having to pay for a habitation check to maintain your warranty is surely ass for teet . Your , for example , £50000 , one year old motorhome shouldn't fail a habitation test.
You shouldn't have to pay to find that out

Thanks for the helpful comments, excuse the silly question but do people come out and do pre purchase hab checks? If so how much should I expect to pay?

I've only ever had water ingress checks done, no habitation checks done, if something goes wrong I fix it.

Thanks for the helpful comments, excuse the silly question but do people come out and do pre purchase hab checks? If so how much should I expect to pay?
It's not a silly question.... It's a very good one, and may help prevent you buying something you later regret.

The short answer is yes, there are mobile technicians who will undertake a HabCheck on your behalf, but I've never used one and can't comment on how good they may be.

Here's a quick example using Google search of a technician coming to your door and charging £199. There will be others :

This is a really helpful forum, where help is generally forthcoming. If you choose to become a Full Member, I know you will be made very welcome.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

If I was new to motorhoming, then buying a van with a recent hab check would be a top priority, especially on a older van. The sellers comment about it not needing one would ring alarm bells. A vehicle that age could very well be riddled with damp and could cost a fortune to repair.
Personally, I would walk away, but if you like the van and you think it is worth buying, an indépendant check will alert you to any potential problems the seller might be trying to hide.
Burstner are well made vans, but at that age, it will be wooden framed and any water ingress could be very damaging.

It's not a silly question.... It's a very good one, and may help prevent you buying something you later regret.

The short answer is yes, there are mobile technicians who will undertake a HabCheck on your behalf, but I've never used one and can't comment on how good they may be.

Here's a quick example using Google search of a technician coming to your door and charging £199. There will be others :

This is a really helpful forum, where help is generally forthcoming. If you choose to become a Full Member, I know you will be made very welcome.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Thanks a lot for the excellent advice.

Gasp, I didn't realise they were wooden framed. A point of note, the seller strikes me as a very honest chap, he has no problem with me getting any checks done that I feel are necessary, his point was that he doesn't bother with them, he's had the van many years so repairs are done when needed. I don't want to portray him as trying to hide anything, quite the contrary. But all the advice is gratefully received.

Burstner are well made vans, but at that age, it will be wooden framed and any water ingress could be very damaging.
I doubt, very much, that a 2005 Burstner, will be wooden framed. My motorhome is a 2005 model, and certainly isn't wooden framed.

Not all Burstner motor homes are wood free. Only in recent years has wood free been available on the higher end models

The Caravan Club do Motorhome inspections and I think they are discounted for members.

I haven’t stayed on a Caravan Club site for 6 years but I keep my membership going for the discounts and travel benefits.

In my view a habitation check demanded under the terms of the warranty is no different to paying for an extended warranty. Smart people just don't fall for it simply because you are paying for a service you are unlikely to need - and when you do need it there will be so many wriggle-out clauses that you will find it too much trouble to make a claim.

What other countries have similar heavily entrenched checks on a vehicle that travels such low annual mileages?

BTW that is not to say you shouldn't get a check done before you buy a used vehicle, but after that, and for brand new vehicles?

I had similar advice from the dealer I bought my van from that after 5 years that it wasn't necessary to have an annual habitation check, every 2 years would suffice. After 6 years I had the habitation checks done anyway and in year 6 a crack developed around the panoramic window in tbe roof. I took it back to the same dealer as the roof is covered under Chaussons 7 year damp warranty, the first thing they asked was for proof of annual habitation checks! If I had followed their 'advice I would have been thousands of pounds out of pocket as the whole front end of the roof had to be removed and replaced, all done under the 7 year warranty.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back