Habitation door security

Nick-Mandy

Hi everyone,

I'd like to upgrade the door locking security on my motorhome, but there seems to be very little room inside, to mount plates for the Fiamma door frame lock or similar, and the handle you can fit and lock in place covering the standard door lock.

Question - Is there any other ways I can make it difficult for a "would be burglar" to gain access with a crowbar. A large aggressive dog is not possible..!

Last edited:
I'd not fit one of those external locks.
They advertise that you think it's worth breaking into and indicate from a considerable distance that there is nobody inside.
Better to add mortice locks which are secure but look the same locked or unlocked.

Thank you so much for your answers. It's quite obvious that I should leave it the way it is.

It was suggested in another thread that using one of those cheap magnetic door sensor alarms is a good idea M52894_1_Magnetic_Door_and_Window_Open_Alarm_Pack_Of_3.jpg

I have locks that look like that, though mine have keyholes on the inside as well. They're fitted to a large, hefty reinforcing place on the door and on the frame. No idea what they cost: they were fitted by a previous owner.

Irritatingly, the two locks for the two doors have different keys. I'd have wanted them to pass if I'd been fitting them.

I'd suggest fitting a tracker, or perhaps two trackers. Won't stop it being stolen, but might help get it back.

Alarms are just a nuisance. Locks are good, unless they lead to more damage.

Last edited:
I have the same locks as highlighted by EJB, very secure, easy open from inside in an emergency, different key for the two doors. Bought from a reputable locksmith in Edinburgh, and self fitted, but a bit of a heart in mouth when you cut through the outer skin of your pride and joy. Hymer doors have an insert that accommodates the fitting, so not difficult. I don't trust auto lock systems as the only way to lock the van, as so easy to get round them with gizmos available online.

Have a look at this companies offerings, they are substantial, very well made and look OK. https://imc-creations.com/-Anglais-
They are French but they will post to UK and I think they have a dealer in the UK.

I've no connection with the company, other than as a satisfied customer.

I think Elddis have put a low security lock on the habitation door for a reason. My way of thinking is, if its easy to prise open, less damage will occur to the door (which I guess would be very expensive) and replacement door lock parts are easy to fit. If I hid everything valueable out of view, I shouldn't really have a problem.
As for stealing the vehicle, I have had an extra immobilizer fitted which doesn't prevent the vehicle being stolen, but I'm guaranteed it will take a professional thief well over an hour to work out the wiring and get it started. Something a professional thief will not bother doing on someones driveway. I've also added a disklok which covers the whole steering wheel.
My vehicle can still be stolen but I'm using enough security I think, to stall a potential amatuer thief and where a professional thief would probably think twice. Where I leave my vehicle overnight and whilst travelling around, I very much doubt if it would be loaded onto a transporter r towed away.
I can sleep well at night now..!

I agree the more secure you try and make a vehicle the more damage the thief is going to do trying to get in and a good alarm is always the best deterrent. I personally have fitted a clutch clamp to the pedals which is easy to install and remove but has been reported takes a good thief with tools 30 minutes to remove much safer then a steering lock which I see fitted to a lot of vans.

I agree the more secure you try and make a vehicle the more damage the thief is going to do trying to get in and a good alarm is always the best deterrent. I personally have fitted a clutch clamp to the pedals which is easy to install and remove but has been reported takes a good thief with tools 30 minutes to remove much safer then a steering lock which I see fitted to a lot of vans.
It's the bad thieves that I worry about.

Quite a lot of people worry about an intruder gaining access to the internals of the van when they are asleep, the pitifully inadequate habitation door locks some manufacturers fit often make that path of entry oh too easy.
Not all owners only worry about the vehicle being stolen, so often wish to research all security devices.
I think the likes of Elddis fit poor quality locks is one of cost (cheapness) rather than design thought.

I find an axe or baseball close to hand works as a deterrent 😂😂😂
Not sure an axe is legal, but baseball bat, as long as U have the bail, is fine apparently.
Perhaps if u have the matching fork for the axe, it could be ok!!!!😀😀

Last edited:
Not sure an ace is legal, but baseball bat, as long as I have the bail , is fine apparently.
Perhaps if u have the matching fork for the axe, it could be ok!!!!😀😀
How do you chop wood if you don’t carry an axe? Chainsaw?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back