Habitation Service / Damp test

It's the word service to me ..

Service to me means take things to bits clean check there working correctly
Last time I had habitation service done it was all visual no jets take out fire or hob and cleaned , just visual check blue flame there ok.
Gas drop test checked battery secure. And damp reading.
Cost £220 bit of a job for the boys from the manufacturer on new vans don't have it done warranty void.
Take stuff to bits? clean? check? Wash your mouth out with soap [and spray a bit on the jets while your hands are wet ...]. That's what Apps are for! There is a Thread on here re Truma Heater where one reply said Truma advised against a system check because there was nothing to do unless there was a Fault Code showing [as near accurate as I can remember], so maybe my 'That's what Apps are for' comment is not unduly cynical ... :rolleyes:
Steve

A habitation check consists of charging the customer money. Some also include looking at the van, maybe poking around in the likely spots for damp ingress, perhaps checking that there are no gas leaks.

An enthusiastic person might check that things work

A habitation service is even less well defined.

I've never paid for a habitation check. I have a damp meter, but they're for firewood, not for vehicle interiors.

The thing you pay for is the 'engineer' knowing where to look: where problems generally appear on that model.

Generally, it's a good idea for the technically clueless. It's vital for the first year or two with a new van to protect the warranty.

Otherwise, I think their only function is to keep motorhome service workshops in business.

Thank you for confirming exactly what I thought 🤣🤣🤣

** UPDATE **

Much appreciated for all the valuable advice you have given.

So .... I've been having my two FREE checks (Habitation and Damp) done by the dealership. Although I've always done my own habitation checks anyway (check gas is coming through okay, no gas smell, and everything else seems to be working okay). Basically, it's not rocket science and not worth the £250 they would have charged me.
I will probably go back to where I got my refillable bottles from, and hopefully, talk them into a free (or buy the guy a drink for his trouble) Gas pressure check once a year. The equipment costs £400 so I'm not going to buy the DIY kit (plus I'm not qualified).
I've brought a £15.99 moisture monitor, which has been recommended by various motorhome DIY sites. I am very pleased with the results and the savings against the dealer's price. I can use this four times a year and get on top of any issues very quickly before they become a real problem.
Recently I discovered the mechanism which lowers the spare wheel is not working. Lucky for me I haven't had a puncture yet. The dealership says it's not on their list of checks for the vehicle service. "Apparently" they don't do anything to do with the actual vehicle body, it's an approved Peugeot workshop job. What the heck is a vehicle service by these people then?? I definitely won't be taking my MH to them for servicing in the future. The vehicle is under warranty and apparently, only an approved Peugeot workshop can look at it. That's if they can be bothered to take on warranty work and not just hard currency customers. The Peugeot dealership in Grantham is great, they go out of their way to help, but it's a 60-mile drive.
So there you have it. If you're lucky to have a mechanically minded friend who knows what he/she is doing (I haven't), or a garage who doesn't try to rip you off ....that's fine, otherwise, you're stuffed. I have friends who repair on coaches. They have a nice pit to get underneath to get a good look at the mechanism and hopefully free it.

Hope I haven't put you all to sleep!

" I've brought a £15.99 moisture monitor, which has been recommended by various motorhome DIY sites. "

Interested where you purchased your Monitor from if you don't mind me asking, thanks Chris.

" I've brought a £15.99 moisture monitor, which has been recommended by various motorhome DIY sites. "

Interested where you purchased your Monitor from if you don't mind me asking, thanks Chris.
I got the "Proster" version which is sold out now and £15.99. This link is pretty much the same.

I also got a ThermPro Thermometer to keep an eye on the Humidity

Thanks for your reply...... really wanted a Moisture Detector that hasn't got the piercing prongs though, Chris.

Thanks for your reply...... really wanted a Moisture Detector that hasn't got the piercing prongs though, Chris.
Detectors / Monitors / Testers all do the same.
Yes, the ones without the prongs don't cause damage, but my research says they are much less accurate than the prong version.
I haven't had any issues with mine and it damaging surfaces.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back