Habitation Service / Damp test

Unless you are pretty clueless I'd just get one of the mobile guys/gals to give it the once-over when you get them in to do a job you can't do yourself, at least on anything more than 5-10 years old, new fine as you can probably justify it.

Can you tell us what you actually do that takes so long to do?

As an owner. I have a clue about most things, I am constantly doing a hab check and apart from a gas safety check most things are observational, a hab service may take three hours but I can't see a check doing so it'd be nice to see what it entails for a Pro.
To do a damp test fully is a minimum of 20 minutes, longer if issues are found. Gas let by and tightness testing, battery and charging tests, earth tests, appliances tested for function.RCD tested with meter not just a button press and readings recorded, polarity test of all sockets. Checking all furniture, doors etc, checking for water leaks, checking taps and filters. Visual inspection of roof and underneath of vehicle etc. To be honest I am in no rush to get loads of jobs in a day so take my time and if something doesn't work then I will try and find out why and fix it rather than fail it. I appreciate there are outfits out there that try and rattle loads of these out a day but we are not all like that. The quickest ones for me are things like VW Transporter conversions that have basic equipment and dont need a damp test but they still take me 1.5 hours.

I'm paranoid, so check a lot of the Hab Check items on almost every trip ['What's fell off since last trip?']. I've had a couple of electrical upgrades carried out by David of Wildebus fame, so that has given me peace of mind, since the work was deeper than a visual check/meter readings exercise. The refillable gas was installed in July 2021, and I had the fridge flu emptied and cleaned in September 2022. I sterilised the Fresh Water Tank shortly afterwards and bought a new Stopper and Seal for the Tank [still to be fitted] in October. Descaled the Water Heater and Shower + Taps in October, in anticipation of a trip to Spain that Jury Service, hospital appointments/operations and Flat flooding have buggered up to date, so the 'Annual Hab Check' has become a Monthly Instalment Plan operation, but it eases the cashflow and leaves time for the work until the weather improves! :rolleyes:

Steve

To be fair that is a pretty comprehensive list.

Where are you based?

I'm paranoid, so check a lot of the Hab Check items on almost every trip ['What's fell off since last trip?']. I've had a couple of electrical upgrades carried out by David of Wildebus fame, so that has given me peace of mind, since the work was deeper than a visual check/meter readings exercise. The refillable gas was installed in July 2021, and I had the fridge flu emptied and cleaned in September 2022. I sterilised the Fresh Water Tank shortly afterwards and bought a new Stopper and Seal for the Tank [still to be fitted] in October. Descaled the Water Heater and Shower + Taps in October, in anticipation of a trip to Spain that Jury Service, hospital appointments/operations and Flat flooding have buggered up to date, so the 'Annual Hab Check' has become a Monthly Instalment Plan operation, but it eases the cashflow and leaves time for the work until the weather improves! :rolleyes:

Steve
I don't get that Steve, why would you jump out of a prefectly good hairyplane?

Anywhere near Keighley?, may as well plug the town at least, I'm not sure you can give details without Admin permish.

West Yorkshire, though we have guys all over the country, we are all independent franchises.

Can you let us know the name of your business/independent franchise umbrella name?

Gotcha (y)

If I am allowed to say the name as some of you have asked its Habcheck, we are all independent engineers operating franchises to AWS standards. The booking team take 3 hours out of our diaries for each one, which is why none of us rush.

I'm sure you will have some good advice to help us keep our vans in better condition too.

Roller team dealer wants £395 to do ours. I’ve booked a mobile workshop who I’ve used before, a lot less and do a thorough job where I can see what’s being done. Dealer says he wants £100 to upload mobile workshops report to RTs system. B*****y ridiculous. I called RT, they said email it to us and we’ll upload it for free.

And they wonder why dealers are mistrusted.

Big difference between a hab service and a hab check.
I guess if you're competent & have the kit, you could mostly diy, but I'm completely non-tech, and I like peace of mind, so I have an annual hab check done - at way below the price you quoted. I use a mobile engineer from here:
This is our check sheet
very similar to the one "my guy" uses. He also fixes foc any small items he finds need doing, preventative as well as remedial. He checks my CO and fire alarms. He measures how long it takes for trip switches to activate. etc etc.
It's well worth it to me.

It's the word service to me ..

Service to me means take things to bits clean check there working correctly
Last time I had habitation service done it was all visual no jets take out fire or hob and cleaned , just visual check blue flame there ok.
Gas drop test checked battery secure. And damp reading.
Cost £220 bit of a job for the boys from the manufacturer on new vans don't have it done warranty void.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back