Hartal door catch

Barge1914

Hi
The bottom catch on my Hartal door fails to reset to the correct position after opening. It should look like the second picture but instead looks like the first. I have to manually reset it before closing, I presume a spring somewhere has failed? Has anyone had and cured this problem before? And if so can you advise how to set about correcting it and where to get any necessary spares?

50B77937-0F1E-4463-A9B9-F794F76E0C49.jpegD4CA868C-6CFF-4CA7-A863-9695AF7C9C91.jpeg

Give it a good blast of wd40 to clean it then s dose of motorcycle chain lube,
If that doesn’t sort it and you are competent enough you can replace or shorten the original spring,
My last one the catch area was worn so squired a new one off internet someone like O’Leary’s might do it

Ian, we had exactly the same on our Bessacarr. Fortunately for us it was still under warranty. So can't help with parts!
And we had to slam the door to get it to shut, and eventually we gave up, kept it shut, and used only the front cab doors.

Give it a good blast of wd40 to clean it then s dose of motorcycle chain lube,
If that doesn’t sort it and you are competent enough you can replace or shorten the original spring,
My last one the catch area was worn so squired a new one off internet someone like O’Leary’s might do it

Sorry to chip in ,but don't use chain lube it's like glue. Just ordinary engine oil or three in one

0E7B312C-41CC-4F31-B678-3E24F7065F14.jpeg
This is what I use on ours rather than the thick stuff you used to warm up and then let it cool down with your spare chain in this is just a spray on lube

Thanks. However there’s no stiffness or friction, it’s just that the catch fails to reset after opening, which is more suggestive of a broken or detached return spring.

I've had problems with a few different Hartal doors and usually the most difficult task is getting access to the part you need to attend to, getting the trim panels off is never straightforward.
As already suggested I'd guess your problem will be a broken spring.

I've had problems with a few different Hartal doors and usually the most difficult task is getting access to the part you need to attend to, getting the trim panels off is never straightforward.
As already suggested I'd guess your problem will be a broken spring.
Yes, so far the main problem is finding who stocks them.

Once you remove any internal pull handle and opening lever where the screws are probably fairly obvious, you are left with a moulded trim panel with no obvious fixings. I was told by my nearby (and respected) caravan/MoHo service outfit that Hartal use Velcro to retain these panels. Not tried to remove my panels though so can't confirm this.

I need to replace worn hinge pins on my Hartal door and an extended online search has failed to find a parts stockist. My feeling is that Hartal only or mainly supply through the trade so, I guess, my next step is to contact above mentioned service outfit.

I purchased standard torsion springs after they suggested a stock type and manipulated it as required.They received my broken spring because they can manufacture to samples.I removed the rubber outer cover around the catch and with pliers replaced the spring.Care needed to remove and replace the spring washer that keeps the spring on its spindle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back