Have you been to Sicily?

GMJ

If so, could you post up any 'must sees'?

We are off there in the MH in April, arriving in early May. We will be staying for 3 weeks spread across 2 places: one in the east and another in the north-west. The plan is to hire a car in both places for a week at a time.

I need to do some research and plan some places to visit so any input appreciated.

TIA

We are going to spend a week on Sicily and booked the ticket last night. The only ferry operator is Caronte & Tourist and the charge for a camper with two people and a mad dog was €101.20 Return. Hope this helps.

Love Sicily have some very close Sicilian friends who we stayed with for two weeks and done a tour of the Island. Would love to go back with the van. The Agrigento area to the south is stunning it has everything history scenery and stunning beaches and the food was amazing and cheap.

Thanks Rog

I booked our crossing for the 29th April. I got it for €88.20 return but I booked in advance. I'd be grateful for your description of the whole arrival/boarding thing if you could Rog as we only take the chunnel to France so have limited experience on taking a MH on ferries. Any chance that Mrs Rog could take some photos of the entrance area/boarding area etc unless its all pretty obvious?

Hi Graham,
Please see my warning on ‘Italian Gadabout’ for the tricks and scams that are going on at the boarding points, both on Sicily and the mainland.
If you are travelling with a Telepass, you do not need to book a ticket, you just drive through the Telepass lane and it’s all sorted. I wish we’d known that before, because it would have kept us away from the rogues that take advantage of unwary folk.
Boarding is manic, four lanes down to two lanes, everyone more important than you!
The rule seems to be ‘avoid eye contact’ - if they see you looking at them, they assume you are going to let them in.
Once you arrive at Messina, it’s all very clear, basically follow the general traffic, until you pick up the signs you need.
You will encounter all types of drivers, slow ones, stupidly fast ones, ignorant ones and frightening ones, just take it all in your stride.

Last edited:
Hi Graham,
Please see my warning on ‘Italian Gadabout’ for the tricks and scams that are going on at the boarding points, both on Sicily and the mainland.
If you are travelling with a Telepass, you do not need to book a ticket, you just drive through the Telepass lane and it’s all sorted. I wish we’d known that before, because it would have kept us away from the rogues that take advantage of unwary folk.
Boarding is manic, four lanes down to two lanes, everyone more important than you!
The rule seems to be ‘avoid eye contact’ - if they see you looking at them, they assume you are going to let them in.
Once you arrive at Messina, it’s all very clear, basically follow the general traffic, until you pick up the signs you need.
You will encounter all types of drivers, slow ones, stupidly fast ones, ignorant ones and frightening ones, just take it all in your stride.
Think it was Syracuse, Sicily where I saw the guy prop his laptop on the steering wheel before driving off .
Cafe on the ferry was mental . These people obviously hadn't eaten or drunk anything for days .

We were there for 3 months ... loved it.
A few TV programs recently - Alamanda doing up a house and 2 Strictly stars. Rubbish TV but showed lots of places we've been to. You'll have a great time. And afterwards, you'll think the driving anywhere really good!

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Thanks.

We started our trip yesterday and will get to the island towards the end of the month.

hi guys . don't know if this is true now but a women we was talking who had lived there a couple years ago SAID they hate the english
Cheyanne

Maybe they just hate her? :D

RoamingRog has just spent a week on the island so I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

We had no problem with the people and enjoyed the island scenery very much. The roads are abysmal, the drivers are frighteningly manic but the weather was to die for, so to sum up, set yourself up for a slow ride around the island, take your time and just enjoy! We were also advised that very few Sicilian drivers have any form of insurance, so better to be on the defensive than try to argue it out!

We had no problem with the people and enjoyed the island scenery very much. The roads are abysmal, the drivers are frighteningly manic but the weather was to die for, so to sum up, set yourself up for a slow ride around the island, take your time and just enjoy! We were also advised that very few Sicilian drivers have any form of insurance, so better to be on the defensive than try to argue it out!
Cosa Nostra Insurers, with [Protection Money] Protected No Claims Bonus ... :rolleyes:

Steve

If you started your trip on Monday Graham, you may not be too far away from us at Cassino by now.

Florence (Firenze) now for 2 nights and then moving southwards so we'll be passing at some stage I guess. We'll be mid way between Rome and Naples on Weds night, then on to Pompei.

I recommend Camping Zeus which is 5 mins from the entrance to Pompeii,rather than those at the bottom of the hill. Also 5 mins to station for a train to Herculaneum and Naples itself.The same train goes round the Bay to Sorrento and you can then get a bus down the Amalfi Coast (don't think about driving)
Big air suspension vehicles out side the campsite will take you to the top of Vesuvius.....the red ones are much more sedate. The fabulous Greek temple at Paestum is just down the road.
Enjoy/jealous(y)

Now there’s a coincidence Graham. We are going to be midway between Rome and Naples on Wed as well!
We are moving from Cassino later today, and going to Anagni. N41.744963 E13.163016 which is a free sosta with services. There is a village historique there which may be worth a look.
If you fancy a mardle, we could meet up and poke each other in the eye!

We must have passed you Rog as we are now 35 mins south of you staying at a restaurant sosta tonight.

Your place looks nice (I saw your pics on the other forum).

Not to worry, you have missed an exceptionally interesting town here. Apparently the Roman Emperors used to relax here, because it was deemed safer than Rome.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back