HAVE YOU WEIGHED IN?

It would be simple enough to put in a call to VoSA quoting reg.no. as a concerned member of the public about an obviously overweight and therefore unsafe vehicle.

It would be simple enough to put in a call to VoSA quoting reg.no. as a concerned member of the public about an obviously overweight and therefore unsafe vehicle.
Yep. And when they realise it is one of their own you have fingered you will be at the top of every inspectors “watch out for this vehicle list”. You might be legal but you will spend most of your holidays queued up waiting for yet another weighing.
One law for us and another for them!
I doubt that. Far more likely that he knows they are not really interested in motorhomes.

Yep. And when they realise it is one of their own you have fingered you will be at the top of every inspectors “watch out for this vehicle list”. You might be legal but you will spend most of your holidays queued up waiting for yet another weighing.

I doubt that. Far more likely that he knows they are not really interested in motorhomes.
or the guy does not actually have any idea he is overweight.
Just because someone works for VOSA does not mean he has any idea of the technical aspects of what VOSA does.
(I don't know why someone working for VOSA would automatically have any greater idea of what VOSA does then say a Car Dealer Principal would have any idea of how cars works, or someone who works in a computer company would know anything more than the basics about computers)

Most people who are overweight, only seem concerned about the very very small risk of being pulled over. What they seem to forget is that their insurance may be invalid and the reduction in stopping distances. Small exercise and not much money to get up plated, if your chassis can take it.

Most people who are overweight, only seem concerned about the very very small risk of being pulled over. What they seem to forget is that their insurance may be invalid and the reduction in stopping distances. Small exercise and not much money to get up plated, if your chassis can take it.
I looked at my insurance when I first saw this and there is nothing specified. it isn’t like you no longer have a license to drive as it’s gone into a higher group it’s a road traffic contravention. Would have been a lot of wagon drivers convicted around our way years ago if that were the case

edit: yes to the up plating bit though 👍

Fill your gas tanks with hydrogen and she will float like a butterfly.
Only one w/bridge here at toome and only once a few weeks back did i ever see it used,they were also dipping for red,lucky i was in my car that day,not that i would ever use dodgy fuel. ;)

Ah those were the days when we used to see a row of owner drivers sweating in the snow Trev. VOSA were quite often in Buxton in the past, they knew a lot of the quarry wagons err, did their own thing. Times have changed now though and the industry has changed. Doubt there are many professional drivers these days running on red or knowingly overweight, buggers would come back for100kgs if light though then moan if they had to shovel off as you tried to top them off with a 20 tonne bucket or from unweighed bins :)

edit: then again we have a good few Hill farmers but they seem to be exempt from any rules to do with transport or the road, I think they may all be Irish cos it sounds like where you are 😳😂😜😂

I think it was changes in/with CPC requirements that ‘cleaned’ everything up wasn't it Graham?

Trev, there are several free weighbridges in N. Ireland. Many of them are self weigh. You simply press the button and drive slowly over the plate. The axle weights are shown individually followed by the total.

I have used them in the past, Toome, Lisburn and Loughbrickland as I got used to each van, but now our weight rarely varies so I am less inclined to weigh. The present van (3500kg) was running at about 3650 kg with full tanks and gear, so I uprated to 3850 kg. I notified my insurance company of the change and they had difficulty in understanding why I had uprated, however I would always be suspicious of insurance companies and would expect them to possibly look for ‘escape routes’. I don’t think they would need to specify overweight as a get out. I think they would simply deem the vehicle not complying with legal requirements or any other phrase that suited.

My plan if we were stopped before I got the uprate was to put the wife on one of the electric bikes with a rucksack of tinned food and other solid items on the pannier. Pull the plug on the fresh water tank and I would comply with the 3500 kg. I never told the wife about the plan though!

Davy

Seems like the only reason most people bother to find out the weight of their vehicle is to make sure they are legal just in case they get pulled in?

While that is always handy, isn't a better reason actually to make sure they are safe and not a danger to themselves - and other road users?

Suppose that is an old-fashioned idea I guess :rolleyes:

Seems like the only reason most people bother to find out the weight of their vehicle is to make sure they are legal just in case they get pulled in?

While that is always handy, isn't a better reason actually to make sure they are safe and not a danger to themselves - and other road users?

Suppose that is an old-fashioned idea I guess :rolleyes:

Just the same as me regularly cleaning the windscreen, side windows, mirrors, lights and number plates when we stop for a brew etc. o_O

I get some very strange looks and people often ask me why i doing it particularly the lights and number plates :unsure:

I normally reply that if they cannot work it out for themselves then there`s not much hope .................................

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back