Headlight intensity

Topmast

Well that’s a first, took Herman the Hymer for annual inspection today and got a fail because one headlight was showing a very few percent less light than the other it was so little that the tester and myself could see no difference by looking at them but the computer thinks there is a difference.also told to screw number plate to body as at present they clip into fixed brackets,strange that it has been o.k. for all previous tests.

Well that’s a first, took Herman the Hymer for annual inspection today and got a fail because one headlight was showing a very few percent less light than the other it was so little that the tester and myself could see no difference by looking at them but the computer thinks there is a difference.also told to screw number plate to body as at present they clip into fixed brackets,strange that it has been o.k. for all previous tests.
To err is human- to really screw things up use a computer!

The rules are updated every year so things that have been OK before can fail this year, but that can happen with a different tester as well, look on the bright side if that is all it failed on it is a cheap fail, still frustrating though especially when deciding if it fails or passes is down to a computer instead of a testers discretion

The rules are updated every year so things that have been OK before can fail this year, but that can happen with a different tester as well, look on the bright side if that is all it failed on it is a cheap fail, still frustrating though especially when deciding if it fails or passes is down to a computer instead of a testers discretion

Excellent advice to look on the bright side 😀

My MOT station. Headlight if they light up there ok no machine needed

Where was this test carried out

Hi.
As I live in Portugal it was done at the local municipal center,independent garages don’t seem to do testing here.

A bit more info of the base vehicle would be useful to give any advice, if it has plastic headlights then Maingate is right, if it has xenon headlights they have a power ballast that fails which causes the light to dim, older vans then change the bulb and check the connections

Just give both headlights a good rub down with Brasso or T-Cut and take it back for retest.

This is exactly what I do to all the exterior plastics of my 'Millie' every single year, most especially the headlights and it is amazing how an hour or two of very careful rubbing can bring them up to looking brand new and the very same goes for the (Seitz in my case) windows.
I also own a much loved MGF, it has headlights that cause a lot of MOT failures, but yet again those on my car are like new!

Went back today having cleaned everything and expected to have a disagreement regarding lights but got a different tester who passed it straight away and also said you could not expect a 25 year old van to have the same standard of lighting as a new one . Thank goodness for common sense! .

Went back today having cleaned everything and expected to have a disagreement regarding lights but got a different tester who passed it straight away and also said you could not expect a 25 year old van to have the same standard of lighting as a new one . Thank goodness for common sense! .

Some of these MOT testers,I recon if you looked into their ear you would be able to see straight through to the other side! .................. Those at Halfords spring to mind.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back