Heiki Rooflight Gas Struts

Heiki Rooflight Gas Struts

The large central Heiki rooflight on my Moho won't stay in the open position so I'm guessing that the gas struts need replacing. Has anyone attempted this?
It looks as though the struts are held in place with push in pins. Do they push out easily? And of course, any ideas of a source for replacements?
Any information gratefully received!

Colin ???

I wonder if PaulJenny recently did this - he had a strut 'couriered' to Portugal last month.

Colin
Check on google there is a video showing Heiki gas strut removal and a link to ebay to buy some new ones.
I hope this helps.
Lee

Yes done it twice and very easy to do.

Struts are not cheap .
Since then I have had struts from here sgs-engineering.com as they copy original specs and were cheaper

LT Man

Cost me £35 a piece last time I did it, use a stick now.

Linda;n18294 said:
I wonder if PaulJenny recently did this - he had a strut 'couriered' to Portugal last month.

Lee;n18300 said:
Colin
Check on google there is a video showing Heiki gas strut removal and a link to ebay to buy some new ones.
I hope this helps.
Lee

Thanks Both. Isn't it great the way this community just gives and gives?
Experienced people,always ready to help.

Colin ???

LT Man;n18309 said:
Yes done it twice and very easy to do.

Struts are not cheap .
Since then I have had struts from here sgs-engineering.com as they copy original specs and were cheaper

LT Man

Thanks LT Man. I'll make contact with SGS Engineering when I return to the UK.
Did the pins either end of the struts simply push back out easily? Any special tools needed or are standard hand tools (screwdriver, pliers, drifts etc.) adequate?

Colin ???

Pudsey Bear;n18325 said:
Cost me £35 a piece last time I did it, use a stick now.

Thanks Pudsey Bear. I'll use a stick if it should ever stop hurling it down on me here in the south of France and I have a need for an open rooflight!
As above, did the pins at the end of the struts push out easily any back in again when you replaced the struts?

Colin ???

Full Member;n18345 said:
Thanks LT Man. I'll make contact with SGS Engineering when I return to the UK.
Did the pins either end of the struts simply push back out easily? Any special tools needed or are standard hand tools (screwdriver, pliers, drifts etc.) adequate?

Colin ???

Sorry for late response but been off line for a while.
If I get a chance will have a look how they come out but yes once you know it was quick and easy with no special tools needed.

LT Man

LT Man;n20791 said:
Sorry for late response but been off line for a while.
If I get a chance will have a look how they come out but yes once you know it was quick and easy with no special tools needed.

LT Man

Thanks L T Man. No rush - I won't tackle the struts until earliest mid February.
I appreciate your help.

Colin ???

[video=youtube;9EqAzqxkL-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqAzqxkL-8[/video]Here ya go Colin

Pudsey Bear;n20815 said:
[video=youtube;9EqAzqxkL-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqAzqxkL-8[/video]Here ya go Colin

Thanks, Pudsey Bear. That helps a lot and, together with other information from this thread, I'm anticipating that the change of strut should go relatively smoothly. I'll update this thread when I tackle the struts.

Colin ???

Just thought I'd advise that the Heki roof light gas struts are now replaced in my Moho thanks to the great support and advice from you guys.
The Dometic struts cost more (£45 each) than the SGS struts but I decided to use the Dometic ones simply because they come with replacement covers for the pins at either end of the struts and I'd damaged the plastic ones during removal. They actually come with beige, grey and white plastic covers to accommodate any of their colour options and were in stock at my local supplier (GTI Towing, Herts).
The job was quick and straightforward as you guys predicted - about 5 minutes per strut.

So many thanks to a great community!

Colin :):):)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that if this job is tackled using Dometic replacement gas struts there is no need to remove the plastic cups covering the holding pins on the piston ends!
The ends of the piston rods are threaded so can be simply unscrewed from the end fitting, leaving the end fitting in place. I'm led to believe that the SGS rods are larger in diameter so presumably have a larger thread.

WP_20180204_15_49_14_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180204_15_10_31_Pro (2).jpg

I trust the photos help to make the rather inadequate words make sense.
As usual with these jobs, one only finds the easier options after the event!

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back