Help! VW T4 2.5 TDi, year 2003, engine temp light & fans...

mariesnowgoose

Neil is currently in Northumberland in our old VW Autosleeper Gatcombe, he went up there this morning.

Internet access is pretty rubbish where he is parked up.

"...when passing Alnwick I got the engine temp light flashing, so stopped & found water & oil levels are def ok. Thought maybe the temp reading thermocouple was broke & carried on after 20mins, but now realise the 2 radiator FANS are not working.
Manual says the fans are electrically operated - & not by a fan belt from the alternator. They are controlled by a THERMOSWITCH reading the water coolant temperature. I have checked the fan fuse & it is ok - can’t see where there’s any fuse for the thermoswitch in the manual."

Anyone got any ideas?? 😟

We are with Green Flag rescue if worst comes to worst, but would definitely help if we knew what the likely problem/fix would be so I can contact the garage to forewarn them the old girl might be coming their way soon...

I'm going to try the other VW forums etc. as well, but thought I'd start with WC forum and Motorhomer as there's a huge amount of genuine knowledge and experience in here - and sensible responses are usually quicker than social meedja!

Here's another message I've just received from Neil:

"The electric radiator fans on our VW Gatcomb Autosleeper have stopped working. Fuse seems alright for them, so it seems their THERMOSWITCH is likely to be the problem?

2 questions: does the plug in the middle of this photo, with 2 red wires, look like it could be the thermoswitch AND should there be a fuse for it somewhere?"

IMG_3959.jpeg

Extra Vehicle details 🤷‍♀️

IMG_3578.jpg

It should look something like this ..........
I think your pic shows the sensor for the glowplugs.

Neil sent me this pic of the above unplugged not so long ago.

Is he looking at the glow plus sensor then and not the radiator fan thermoswitch?

He does have the vehicle manual that came with the camper which he has referenced, but not being there myself I've no idea if it shows the relevant engine parts or not? 🤷‍♀️

tempImageUcf4UW.jpg

That's the fan switch that screws into the radiator sounds like the switch is knackered Marie ,we used to bridge out the wires to get home fan will run all the time and over cool the engine

Sorry, it is the thermoswitch, teach me to look at pics on a phone without enlarging them. Part number should be 701 959 481 or OE equivalent.

That's the fan switch that screws into the radiator sounds like the switch is knackered Marie ,we used to bridge out the wires to get home fan will run all the time and over cool the engine

Yes, he’s going to do that Gordon 👍

Staying where he is for now as planned (parked up in a field) as he is helping a friend at their house over the weekend, travelling back Monday 🤞

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:16)

Back