Help Wanted

oppy

Hi folks, can anybody help us? Whist at the Angelsey meet the fridge stopped working on gas and the water pump kept on cycling. We switched the pump off and switched on only when we needed to. I noticed that there was water trickling from the carver drain plug, so I replaced the seal and switched on the pump----water is now gushing out. I removed the outer cover and the water appears to be coming out from underneath the heater body. As I no longer have the confidence or dexterity to attempt major tasks, is there anyone willing and able to assist this daft old soul ?

Thanks
Peter

So two separate problems as i cant see how they could be connected unless the leaking water has done something to the fridge or its 12v supply

At first read it sounds as though the carver heater has frozen and split which is a common thing to happen in winter

Its not been that cold in Anglesey yet has it ? Could you have had a frost overnight ?

The pump will keep running as it is fooled into thinking a tap is open as the pressure doesn’t build up to shut it off

From memory these carver heaters are held together by a rod with seals at the end Perghaps this rod has failed or the main seal But i suspect its a full strip down , you may be able to divert the plumbing to isolate/ bypass the heater obviously you wont have any hot water but at least you could use the rest of the water systems

Plenty of advise around for fridges not working on gas but you are really asking for someone to give you a hand

Unfortunately you are the wrong end of Wales for me to assist

So two separate problems as i cant see how they could be connected unless the leaking water has done something to the fridge or its 12v supply

At first read it sounds as though the carver heater has frozen and split which is a common thing to happen in winter

Its not been that cold in Anglesey yet has it ? Could you have had a frost overnight ?

The pump will keep running as it is fooled into thinking a tap is open as the pressure doesn’t build up to shut it off

From memory these carver heaters are held together by a rod with seals at the end Perghaps this rod has failed or the main seal But i suspect its a full strip down , you may be able to divert the plumbing to isolate/ bypass the heater obviously you wont have any hot water but at least you could use the rest of the water systems
Thanks for your suggestion. I fully drained the water system prior to last winters extremely cold spell and have since done a few thousand miles around Europe and the UK, and although Angelsey was wet and windy, it wasn't particularly cold. They are not, I don't think, related, it's just a coincidence

My fridge stopped working on gas, or to be precise, the igniter stopped working. It was just the fuse in the igniter supply - fuse was ok but the ends were corroded. A clean with a wire brush and WD40 then a dab of vaseline fixed it.

Not sure if this helps. On the Truma heater, yes I know yours is a Carver, all the same, on the Truma, if you turn off the power, it will trip the frost safety valve, then when you turn the power on again it will drain the water tank.
Now, how would I know that.? Been there, done that. Felt stupid, yup!

Not sure if this helps. On the Truma heater, yes I know yours is a Carver, all the same, on the Truma, if you turn off the power, it will trip the frost safety valve, then when you turn the power on again it will drain the water tank.
Now, how would I know that.? Been there, done that. Felt stupid, yup!
Thanks for the info, but I have isolated the heater for now and bypassed it because we rarely used it anyway except on the very rare occasion when we had a hook up, we find that the kettle is far quicker at heating water for washing etc. Maybe when I'm feeling stronger and the weather improves I'll have a bash at removing the unit, but for now, it's the cold water treatment.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back