Henges, Henges ............

Neolithic burial chambers?

Located on a hillside overlooking Cardigan Bay, the pair of tombs at this Neolithic (New Stone Age) burial site were built in two distinct stages. The smaller chamber to the west came first. This dolmen (or cromlech) featured two portal stones and a high blocking slab with a capstone rested on top, and was covered by a small, roughly circular cairn. Several generations later the larger tomb to the east was built and buried beneath a wedge-shaped cairn roughly 100ft/30m in length, which enveloped its neighbour.

Now exposed to the skies, both tombs are extremely well-preserved with capstones still resting securely on their uprights.

Screenshot_20200913-125945_Photobucket.jpgScreenshot_20200913-125924_Photobucket.jpg

This is within walking distance of Stonehenge and may well have been a practice run before the builders went to all the bother of moving those huge lumps of stone:

IMG_20200913_114143.jpg

......though frankly I think that Woodhenge is a misnomer:

IMG_20200913_114239.jpg

..........Concretehenge?

IMG_20200913_115148~2.jpg

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Some stone circles have splendid views, like the Recumbent Stone Circle at Easter Aquhorthies, near Inverurie.

021_Inverurie_Easter Aquhorthies_Recumbent Stone Circle_Overview_9th August 2007.jpg

In Inverurie itself, why not visit the Brandsbutt Pictish Stone (took me a bit of of head scratching to find it).
028_Inverurie_Brandsbutt Pictish Stone_The Stone_10th August 2007.jpg

Or about 6 miles further north, the hidden Loanhead of Daviot Recumbent Stone Circle.
005_Inverurie_Loanhead of Daviot_Recumbent Stone Circle_Overview from NE_9th August 2007.jpg

These are useful websites for when out and about mooching for interesting stuff.

Last edited:
These are useful websites for when out and about mooching for interesting stuff.

Not sure WHY the first link hasn't shown clearly... BUT the megalithic portal in the first link is possibly one of THE best I've found...

Well worth a click and a mooch around.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back