Hightoppers

Rockburner

Hightoppers

Who's got a 'hightop' van and what issues have you come across so far?

We're looking to buy a Wiensburg 601 MQH :
maxresdefault.jpg

which has a customised, extra-tall roofline, and I'm wondering what I need to look out for.

Obviously I'll have to be eagle-eyed and on the scan for height restrictions at all times when driving (!), but is there anything else I should look out for?

It's coming with a built in sat-nav system, but I'm not sure if it's setup with the height (I know some sat navs can do this).

The top itself looks to be monocoque, which has to be a good thing.

Looks to be a nice van.

Robmac;n4841 said:
The top itself looks to be monocoque, which has to be a good thing.

Looks to be a nice van.

We hired one before, and it's very well laid out and comfortable. :) (I get claustrophobic in places with low ceilings).
The roof is GRP and the only issue I have with it is that we can't buy a roofrack for it. ;) (shouldn't be an issue to fit solar to though).

I can see how it would be difficult to fit a roof rack.

Have you considered a storage box on the back such as those made by Fiamma?

Robmac;n4851 said:
I can see how it would be difficult to fit a roof rack.

Have you considered a storage box on the back such as those made by Fiamma?

It's on the shopping list if we think we need more capacity. ;)

It's still got the original van doors so adding the Fiamma cycle rack/ladder/storage box will be very easy and we may well go that route.

Got to say, I've just had a look at the internal pictures of the van.

Looks a cracker!

nothing to worry about just ask carol as regads solar think you will havee to use flexi donwn the fron looking at the roof of that one skylight front and rear

oldish hippy;n4865 said:
nothing to worry about just ask carol as regads solar think you will havee to use flexi donwn the fron looking at the roof of that one skylight front and rear

I'm actually thinking I might glue a foam/rubber pad to the front of the roofline to prevent/reduce damage from low-hanging branches! ;)

I'm hoping there'll be room between the skylights for solar panels (might need to go for 2 smaller ones rather than 1 large)

(umm - who's carol? forum member?)

Rockburner;n4875 said:
(umm - who's carol? forum member?)

Yes, Carol is a forum member who once, rather famously converted a high top to a much lower one after an encounter with a bridge.

Sometimes we like to remind her, just so as she's more careful in future you understand. :smile:

Lovely looking van! I doubt you'd have much problem with overhanging branches because most roads have everything regularly trimmed for lorries and buses. The bigger issue is car parks... so many height barriers these days, so I always head for a supermarket or big shopping parade when I'm visiting towns. Still, many of us manage with overcab beds and the like... I'm sure you'll be fine :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

Minisorella;n4922 said:
Lovely looking van! I doubt you'd have much problem with overhanging branches because most roads have everything regularly trimmed for lorries and buses. The bigger issue is car parks... so many height barriers these days, so I always head for a supermarket or big shopping parade when I'm visiting towns. Still, many of us manage with overcab beds and the like... I'm sure you'll be fine :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

Car parks etc I'm fully aware of. I initially wanted something that WOULD fit in a multi-story, but unfortunately we need more space than that.

Ironically enough, we DID hit a low-hanging branch in cornwall during our hire!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back