HOME MADE FRIDGE VENT COVERS

Hey I’m not taking it the wrong way at all ,when you meet up you will find I love a bit banter and joke ,no hard feelings at all me olde matey
Watch that Del Gordy he is a feckin trouble maker, always having a pop at someone then backing down when challenged. I do think you have gone a bit mad spending a full three quid though, I cut up the cardboard box the kettle came in, covered it in gorilla tape then put in place behind the grill. Didn’t have to waste good tartan ribbon or cable ties either cos I am leaving them in :)

No wonder your missus only has one shoe throwing money away like that :)

no more holidays mate, pensioners don't get them :cry:
I was told the holidays were great, it was the wages that were crap ?. You wouldn’t think Nabs and I were the best of mates would you. No ? Neither would I ?

Gordon, measure outside dimensions of both vents, if same size as mine, I could look at knocking up a couple that can be fitted to the outside, like the tailor made ones, if you with?

Ps, alloy to keep the weight doon.
Runnach, Weldmeister.

Gordon, measure outside dimensions of both vents, if same size as mine, I could look at knocking up a couple that can be fitted to the outside, like the tailor made ones, if you with?

Ps, alloy to keep the weight doon.
You thought about mud and sand mats :)

THIS A START TO FINISH JOB IN 15 MINUTES TOTAL COST £3*00
Pic 1 full board
Pics 2cut board
Pic3 cut board fitted to fridge grille duck taped into position
Pic4 grille refitted job do e

please note the black cable tie on the grilles ! I fit these to remind me the blankets are fitted we orten put tartan ribbon on also as a reminder
Board is around 7mm thick from hobby craft (courtesy of my wife’s craft room)?

Now there's a clever chappie. I like money savers. But first we need a fridge. Haven't decided what type yet though looking for the views of more experienced campers. :)

Once I get a job and I take care of the six kids first if any money left over I might but some made ones ,the wife also need new shoes but it is only the one shoe that’s holed
Why not save some more dosh by cutting a piece of plastic for the hole in her shoe? Or use some duck tape even cheaper ???

Can I let you suggest that one fergie cause I for one ain’t got the guts to hint let alone suggest it ?

So at what temperature is it recommended you have to add these restricted covers?

So at what temperature is it recommended you have to add these restricted covers?
When the temp falls below 8-10 degrees,you can fit them when washing the van ,and also if it’s really windy it reduces droughts,they do not totally block air flow

I made a pair myself out of white cellular plastic cladding material and fitted them with little wire loops. The fridge is not so good with them on. My main concern was keeping the weather off the works of the fridge which can deteriorate badly and very expensively if they get wet too often. However I shall now take them off and they will be consigned to the failed experiments file.

Those who site draughts as the reason for their use really should get with one of the fundamentals of gas fridge installation. The works of the fridge should be gas tight from the living areas. Definitely NOT draughty. When I installed my last one I had to use the services of a gas safe engineer to certify the installation satisfactory for the purposes of the warranty on the fridge. He was most concerned that the works be isolated from the living areas of the wagon citing carbon monoxide as the main reason. Those of you who suffer drafts should, I would suggest, get in there and stuff some foam draught excluder into any gaps. Not that white flimsy open celled stuff but the usually black closed cell foam. Get hold of some smoke matches as my engineer did and let one or two off at the rear and see if any gets through.
Harry

I get legitimate draughts from the fridge vents as a previous owner has changed from a three way fridge to a compressor fridge so the vents were just used for cabin ventilation, was great in the hot summer but when it started to get cold and windy they had to be shut off. Once vents are in its not really an option to fill them in again if not needed, well not unless you are a panel beater/coach builder. :)

I made a pair myself out of white cellular plastic cladding material and fitted them with little wire loops. The fridge is not so good with them on. My main concern was keeping the weather off the works of the fridge which can deteriorate badly and very expensively if they get wet too often. However I shall now take them off and they will be consigned to the failed experiments file.

Those who site draughts as the reason for their use really should get with one of the fundamentals of gas fridge installation. The works of the fridge should be gas tight from the living areas. Definitely NOT draughty. When I installed my last one I had to use the services of a gas safe engineer to certify the installation satisfactory for the purposes of the warranty on the fridge. He was most concerned that the works be isolated from the living areas of the wagon citing carbon monoxide as the main reason. Those of you who suffer drafts should, I would suggest, get in there and stuff some foam draught excluder into any gaps. Not that white flimsy open celled stuff but the usually black closed cell foam. Get hold of some smoke matches as my engineer did and let one or two off at the rear and see if any gets through.
Harry
Pleased you put this in as my Burstner handbook also states that there should be no draughts from around the fridge, so I did what you suggest and that is stuff closed cell foam around the outer casing.

Everyone knows I’m thick as a brick, just ask Nabsim. But that’s not what’s going to stop me asking the question many people are afraid to ask.
Why? What for???
Lots of campers use vent covers ,keeps the rain out in bad weather and the cold air in winter as the fridge needs heat tranfer !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back