How to make motorhomers unpopular

Oh and I just checked Google Earth and Sainsburys have very kindly provided Four bays for us, not three but three of them on the pictures provided by Street View are occupied by vans that could easily fit into ordinary car spaces.

If we are on the road and looking for a place to park, at a supermaket or elsewhere, I make use of the satnav and Google maps to get an idea of suitability. There are two out of town supermarkets within a couple of miles of this location, one a 24 hour tesco with a huge car park and located on a retail park with further parking. These people just didn't give a damn.
I have since discovered that the "Great" Dorset Steam Fair starts this week, so they were on their way there and we can look forward to their return.
Perhaps they didn't have a satnav.

I do my utmost to park as far out of the way as possible for two reasons. 1 being sat on our backsides for so long the exercise is good for us. And 2. Less chance of plonkers parking so close as to hinder your escape.

Mark

We also try to park well away from the crowd but often come back to find cars parked all round us, even though the rest of the carpark is almost empty. ? ? ? :giggle:

I remember reading a similar thread some years ago. The poster asked a car driver why they had parked so close to his Motorhome. The reply was along the lines of “it makes my car easier to find in the car park”. There is a sort of logic in this but I always wondered what would happen if the Motorhome was first to depart!

Davy

Friends were fined £60 for parking their motorhome in a Tesco car park and taking up 2 spaces - beware!

Should that happen to me It would simply mean that I never again used their store. I avoid Aldi because of their very poor treatment of customers parking there.

I suspect that this is trying to enforcing xparking in marked bays'
Apparently some people's cars are more precious than others so they 'need' to straddle bays.
I normally try to park on tandem bays and if I were to get a ticket doing that I would challenge it. With all the wheels in bays in the right direction I'm in marked bays.
If I was a regular user of the supermarket chain I would enlist their support against the potential loss of my custom forever.

I will usually check in the store to make sure there is no problem before shoppng.
Do this at customer services and note the time and the name of the member of staff.

If in a council carpark and taking up 2 spaces...Buy 2 tickets place them on a clipboard behind the winscreen with a note explaining AND take photos.
Yes a pain but worth it to potentially save paying a "fine".

Privately run carpsrks ???
Problem is some of Sainsbury's and other car parks are owned and run by a car parking company...whose sole function is to make a profit !

The only real problem I have had with my VW LT is at the IKEA in Reading. The only carpark they had had a height barrier that looked a bit too low for comfort. So I parked right at the front of the store in the Bus Stop (y)
Turned out to be really handy as just a few steps to get into the store :D

(I asked when I went into the store explaining their height barriers were too low for me and they said to just stay at the store front)

In the UK we try and use the larger supermarkets with larger car parks. Mrs GMJ always stays with the MH in case of any issues/questions. We always park at the far end of any car park where there is usually space. We have 2 options: either take up a block of 4 spaces or we have to park across around 6 or so. Its pretty unavoidable as we are 8.7m long.

Abroad most supermarkets are fair game unless it is patently obvious that they have very small car parks. We have not had a problem yet tbh in any of the countries we have visited from Spain across to Poland.

We are off to Italy next week so we'll see how that goes. We went 4 years ago but I can't remember what the supermarkets were like there...

Graham
smile.gif

Lidls Portugal is the way forward....they welcome us with open arms with sun canopied spots at the back of the car parks . Even let you stay all night. Know they do a good trade in croissants bread milk etc first thing.
Unlike Tesco’s in Gerrards Cross we parked safely & appropriately in a marked bay. Arrived back at the MH unable to enter habitation door or cab doors as 2 Chelsea tractors chose to park either side of us totally blocking access. Unbelievable & somewhat selfish.

Simple...
Car park no good or too full..move on.
UK has no space so mainly a problem.
Big out of town supermarkets are often best.
Yes 4 spaces sideways or 2x2 lengthways.
Try to ensure your exit/turning space CANNOT be hampered.
Lidl or Aldi likely to be more difficult as their small carparks (and checkout queues) are a direct result of their low prices.
You pays your money..........
Trouble is I cannot find a Harrods with a decent carpark !

Simple...
Car park no good or too full..move on.
UK has no space so mainly a problem.
Big out of town supermarkets are often best.
Yes 4 spaces sideways or 2x2 lengthways.
Try to ensure your exit/turning space CANNOT be hampered.
Lidl or Aldi likely to be more difficult as their small carparks (and checkout queues) are a direct result of their low prices.
You pays your money..........
Trouble is I cannot find a Harrods with a decent carpark !
Simples. you just move to the drivers seat while the chauffeur nips in to buy the elephant.

Find it funny people go on about small LIDL and ALDI car parks. From my experience they are typically no smaller (and usually larger) than any other non-retail park shop carpark

Friends were fined £60 for parking their motorhome in a Tesco car park and taking up 2 spaces - beware!
Puzzled as to why they would pay ?
I know most supermarkets have time limit , never seen any mention of taking up more than one bay .

I take my 7.5t truck to Lidls regularly but always go in the evenings when it's quiet,they have cameras in the carpark but they are only monitoring length of stay,not size or how many bays I'm taking up.

At my local Sainsbury's the sign before you go in " a no parking sign for 3.5 ton " so in other words a motorhome.

On the way back from our south Wales tour we needed a stop at Hopwood Services for a break.
The caravan parking area was full, so we had to move along a bit further and park at the back of the car parking area.
Our van can fit in a car parking space, widthwise, but would have to overhang (7m).
Even after overhanging onto the grass at the rear I still felt that my "nose" was sticking out too far so mounted the kerb with my third axle.
No problems, but it just looked wrong.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back