How to repell flies?

Just noticed that the smoke bombs specifically mention cluster flies.
Linky
These are small, I just used one.

I use these smoke bombs in the eaves of our attic. They really do work. I 'bomb' in autumn when the blighters start to seek warmth and again in spring when they come out to play.

Graham
smile.gif

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I forgot to post 'tidying up loose ends' message last year.

Thoroughly scrubbing the door edges, frames and seals with disinfectant and likewise the cab doors and skylights to get rid of the pheromones seems to work. However, I had a nasty surprise when we went to a Bluegrass picking weekend near Hereford at the end of November 2019. There were only a few flies found in the (treated) door jambs and they were all dead. So we set off from Cornwall and noticed a few flies buzzing around the cab at about Taunton. By the time we reached our destination, there were about twenty. We parked up, hooked up the EHU etc. and thought we'd have a cuppa before grabbing instruments and heading out to jam. Jan opened the kitchen cupboard to get the kettle and the air turned black with flies. The heat from the fridge must have woken them up. They could only have got in through the fridge vents.

Thankfully, I had a can of fly spray left from giving the door edges a quick blast before opening them and treating them with Rentokil sticks. So Jan grabbed the instruments and headed over to the venue while I liberally sprayed the area behind the fridge, cooker and kitchen units and then generally in the habitation before locking up and heading over to join Jan. It took us well over an hour to sweep and hoover up the dead flies when we got back to the van.

This year at the end of Summer / beginning of Autumn, I scrubbed all the door edges and frames with disinfectant and then treated them with Rentokil sticks. I've also taped up the fridge vents with water-resistant automotive masking tape. We've been back to the van a few times since and found only one or two dead flies in the door frames. I'm hoping that we've succeeded in preventing infestation this year but we won't know for sure until we take the van out in the new year.

p.s. I suspect that fitting fly screens to the back of the fridge vents (or replacing them with ones that already have screens) might be a better solution than masking tape.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back