How to shut down electrics after a trip

• Thread starter Deleted member 3305
  • Start date

Deleted member 3305

Having ongoing problems with starter battery going flat. It was new last year. Is something draining it? How can I check? What is the procedure when parking the vehicle after a trip? I check radio is off, fridge off, lights off. What else? It's a Bessacarr E460 on a Ducato 11-plate. Thanks for ideas.

It’s the body computer that’s using the power from the battery. It only uses a small amount of power but it’s enough to flatten your battery in a few weeks. Even quicker if you have an alarm / tracker. The Bolero we bough5 had a red button on the steering lock which let the key go one extra stop. This cut off all the power so central locking etc. Did not work and the body computer needed the clock setting every time you went out.

100w solar panel is the answer with solar controller with two battery outlets. One for Habitation and one for vehicle battery.

What is the time scale between parking up and trying to start the vehicle again?
If it's weeks, then yes, these days with small drains from alarms etc might drain the battery. If it's less than two weeks then I'd say you have a problem. If it's more than three or four weeks then a 'smart' charger can be plugged in to keep the battery topped up (I use one on my motorbike in the winter when I'm not out on it as much as the summer).
To to try to eliminate the problem is fairly simple by clamping an amp meter to the main positive cable on the battery and seeing the reading. Straight away this will tell you if you have a high drain with everything turned off. If it's high, then unplug each fuse in turn to determin which circuit is pulling the drain. Then work out whats pulling off that fuse.

To answer your next question, no I don't really know what would be an acceptable 'low drain' from such things as the alarm or perminant live to the radio (to keep the stations memory), but it shouldn't be much.

Having ongoing problems with starter battery going flat. It was new last year. Is something draining it? How can I check? What is the procedure when parking the vehicle after a trip? I check radio is off, fridge off, lights off. What else? It's a Bessacarr E460 on a Ducato 11-plate. Thanks for ideas.
Hi pvsdb. With regard to your flatty you could use a solar dash charger like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECOWORTHY-...ords=solar+dash+charger&qid=1571909124&sr=8-7 which you can connect straight to the service battery. Even in the winter it will keep the battery topped up.
Or, if you install or have installed solar you can connect a relay such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CH...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 which will then top up the service from the leisure battery.

Happy Mohoming

Greenid

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back