Humans and Energy........

We use Bulb as supplier for leccy and gas and they claim to be 100% renewable for leccy and offset for gas. Quite how that works I don't know.

However, on another tangent, I calculated the CO2 generated by using the van for 5000 miles a year against return flights to Fuerteventura for two people and they came in at about 2.2 tonnes for the van and 2.1 for the flights. Not sure what this illustrates apart from aeroplanes are bloody dirty things.

Cheers

H

We use Bulb as supplier for leccy and gas and they claim to be 100% renewable for leccy and offset for gas. Quite how that works I don't know.

However, on another tangent, I calculated the CO2 generated by using the van for 5000 miles a year against return flights to Fuerteventura for two people and they came in at about 2.2 tonnes for the van and 2.1 for the flights. Not sure what this illustrates apart from aeroplanes are bloody dirty things.

Cheers

H

I'm using Bulb for gas and electricity too. Not the cheapest but I've persuaded myself that I'm treating the planet better than I might using one of the big six.
It's about 1750 miles from Heathrow to Fuerteventura by plane so for a return trip your calculations indicate that your Moho is about as dirty as a blōòdy dirty aircraft, Winks 😅😂🤣.
I'll probably return to the Canary Islands winter holidays in due course but will probably stay longer rather than fly twice. The blast of sun in the winter does me a power of good.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
How can their be 100% renewable electricity ,when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow ,my tv still works??

Last edited:
How can their be 100% renewable electricity ,when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't ,my tv still works??

This can be a problem for a small country like the United Kingdom where one weather system affects everywhere. In the United States the grid enables places with sunshine or wind on a particular day to export that to places that don't.
Link

How can their be 100% renewable electricity ,when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow ,my tv still works??
Read the small print and they admit to lying. All electricity in the uk is distributed and managed by the national grid. Have you noticed the wind turbines turning when there is no wind? They power them to use surplus energy! As for transporting electricity long distances line losses prohibit it. Some years ago Germany was planning super cooled cables to transport electricity from east Germany to west. In the uk french electricity companies want nuclear power plants to send electricity to France.

................. They power them to use surplus energy!.................

Really? Do you have a reference to that particular use of surplus power on the National Grid, SquirrellCook?
Many thanks,

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I'm a switching tart when it comes to electrickery. We are currently (sorry!!!) with Symbio Energy purely as they came out the cheapest quote I got based on our 2,400KWh a year. It's not a fixed tariff either which means I can switch at any time without penalties. I find Martin Lewis Energy Club to be a useful tool for this.

Aside from that we have oil as we are so rural. That has shot up in price since last autumn. Its now c.43ppl here!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back