INFLATION

saxonborg

Could somebody enlighten me as to when metal valve stems should be used in place of rubber, or point me to a source of information? Thank you.

Loads on here... looks like they are recommended for higher pressures on commercial vans.
Loads of differing opinions too as usual.
K ;)

Loads on here... looks like they are recommended for higher pressures on commercial vans.
Loads of differing opinions too as usual.
K ;)
Many thanks👍

Never knowingly had a valve problem so never felt the need to look into it.

My van came with what looked like rubber valves. When I had a full set of Conti’s fitted getting on 4 years ago I let them fit whatever they usually would and they look like rubber valves. I only run at slightly over 4 bar in the tyres though so probably doesn’t matter to me too much but certainly not had any problems with valves to date

Edit: when I say it came, I mean it came to me rather than what was new. Originally it had MB steel wheels but a previous owner fitted MB alloys

Who rattled your cage eh?

There are two types of rubber valves, you can tell which you have by their appearance, normal low pressure valves found on cars are OK up to 65psi, high pressure valves are OK for 80psi or even 100psi, I have metal stems on mine but the high pressure valve rubber valve stems are more than adequate

high pressure valve stem.jpg
low pressure valve stem.jpg

There are two types of rubber valves, you can tell which you have by their appearance, normal low pressure valves found on cars are OK up to 65psi, high pressure valves are OK for 80psi or even 100psi, I have metal stems on mine but the high pressure valve rubber valve stems are more than adequate

View attachment 62898
View attachment 62899
Thank you for the info, looks like I have the lower pressure version fitted even though the max tyre pressures are 80psi for my tyres. I will be getting the rims refurbished in a few weeks so I can get the correct stems fitted then.

Thank you for the info, looks like I have the lower pressure version fitted even though the max tyre pressures are 80psi for my tyres. I will be getting the rims refurbished in a few weeks so I can get the correct stems fitted then.
You might to start enquiries now. I had Winter Tyres fitted in late February about 2 weeks before our trip to Europe, and couldn't find any Tyre Suppliers who could provide the high pressure valves on other than special order with a '2 or 3 week delivery, possibly longer ...'

Steve

Mine look like the low pressure valves as well (it’s what I thought they were anyway). I suppose I am lucky I can only fit Conti’s so if I stay with their recommended pressures I won’t have a problem. Seeing how high some folks run theirs though doesn’t it make it a rough/noisy ride?

You might to start enquiries now. I had Winter Tyres fitted in late February about 2 weeks before our trip to Europe, and couldn't find any Tyre Suppliers who could provide the high pressure valves on other than special order with a '2 or 3 week delivery, possibly longer ...'

Steve
The wheel refurbishing place have a lot of wheels in and they could only do mine the middle of July so given their turnover they might hold decent stocks of both types, I have to get in touch with them shortly so I will mention availability to them.

Mine look like the low pressure valves as well (it’s what I thought they were anyway). I suppose I am lucky I can only fit Conti’s so if I stay with their recommended pressures I won’t have a problem. Seeing how high some folks run theirs though doesn’t it make it a rough/noisy ride?
I have Michelins fitted Neil but I don’t run them at their recommended pressures otherwise I would be bouncing off the cab roof.!

If your van is a Dually it’s common to fit valve extenders so that both tyres on each side can be inflated and checked easily. It’s then advisa to have metal valve stems when using them for added safety.
if the bolt that clamps the extender to the wheel ever comes loose the extender will flail about.

this will over time cause a rubber valve stem to tear.

This happpened to a customers van, she drove it from Loughborough to my place in North Shropshire and she had no idea one tyre was completely flat.

she also had no idea someone had chopped out her air suspension pipe work but that’s another story!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back